Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Tool for oil pressure relief valve plugs?

What's a good tool to use for R&R of the oil pressure relief valve plugs in the engine case? I have a 73 911S 2.4L, and the two plugs look like they need the mother of all screwdrivers to R&R. I got one out, but when trying to re-torque it with a big screwdriver, crow-foot, and torque wrench, I popped off the screwdriver tip (back to Sears). It seems like there should be a tool to mate these plugs to a torque wrench, but I've not found one.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-17-2004, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a mother of all screwdrivers, and a hammer. catch the outer edge of the notch and knock it loose. install the same way.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
GAFB

You can also pick up the later model pressure relief plug - I believe it's a 19mm hex style that you can slap a socket and ratchet on. I tossed my screw-type items this year in favor of the updated items. Just a couple of bucks.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dtw
You can also pick up the later model pressure relief plug - I believe it's a 19mm hex style that you can slap a socket and ratchet on. I tossed my screw-type items this year in favor of the updated items. Just a couple of bucks.
Hey, that's a great idea!
-Chris
Old 09-17-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if you update to the hex caps, don't forget to update the pistons, springs and inner spring sleeve too, because the new caps have a different depth than the old ones.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 09-17-2004 at 04:59 PM..
Old 09-17-2004, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Quote:
but when trying to re-torque it
hehehe

just need to apply enough torque to compress the sealing washers..

or, just lean into the wrench a bit

not to much though..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 09-17-2004, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by john walker's workshop
if you update to the hex caps, don't forget to update the pistons, springs and inner spring sleeve too, because the new caps have a different depth than the old ones.
I just ordered these from pelican and they didn't say that I needed to change the springs. From what I have encountered, the only need to change the springs is for the oil bypass upgrade. If no upgrade then use same springs with newer caps. As a side note, the pistons with the holes in them have been upgraded to the ones for the upgrade as well (no holes).

This is ofcourse just what I have heard from a few sources, is this wrong? Please explain. I could be misunderstanding you.
Thanks,
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 09-17-2004, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sorry for the crosspost, but on a related issue: Does changing the oil pressure springs and pistons to the new style after doing the oil pressure modification effect the oil pressure at all?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
The later type pistons with no holes are for use in crankcases from 76' on or for an earlier case that has been modified with the later type oil bypass. Replacing the pistons to the later (no holes) style piston will damage an early case motor that hasn't been modified to accept them.

What JW refers to is an even later style that goes with the later hex cap.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 09-22-2004, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your response, but I have a early type case that has been modified, the problem is the oil thermostate on the top of the engine leaks becasue I believe the pressure is too great. I did replace the pistons and springs without the holes. I think this change is causing the leak. I don't know what to do since replaceing the oil o ring does no good.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Just jumping in for final clarification since JW always speaks the truth. I have a '76 car without the oil bypass modification. I switched from the slotted style caps to the hex styles without any other modifications, since this mother of all screwdrivers system was a pain in the a$$. Is this a problem? Do I need to switch springs too or put spacer washers in there? Just concerned since I'll be firing up after my top end rebuild next week.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I just tried to by the older style holed pistons and slotted caps for my '74 2.7l from Pelican and was sent the hex caps, two springs of equal length (the correct springs), and holeless pistons. I called the Pelican Porsch parts guy and he informed me that the piston with the hole in it has been superceeded by the one with out and that the hex caps are an acceptable upgrade to the slotted type. I believe that the catalog here even says that it is an upgrade to swtich to the hex caps. If you have the oil by pass mod then you need to use the different length springs with the spacer/rod in the middle of one of them according to the catalog and Waynes book. This is all of the info that I just found out. If I am off, or have gotten bad info please let me know.
HTH
-Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 09-22-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

John

I respect your opinion but how much do the hex head and slotted caps differ in depth? I would consider them interchangeable even if they differed by a few mm, with the length of the spring its only going to alter the oil pressure a few percent

Neven
Old 09-22-2004, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Pipe wrench worked for me on the originals. Taped them with masking tape. Just a few tiny nicks.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: