Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix
If enough people who have had problems with MM get together, perhaps we could file a class action suit and shut them down permanently and keep them from buring anyone else. No pun intended.
Who are these people? When I was doing research on rebuilding my engine, I read a lot on the board about how bad motormeister was. But it was always ancillary data. I didn't read one post from someone who had problems with their engine rebuilds. I even e-mailed a couple people I found who had experience with their engine rebuilds and got nothing but praise.

I recognize that where there is smoke, there is fire. But, I haven't found the fire yet.

I rebuilt my engine because it's what I always wanted to do. But I came close to sending it to them. If you don't have first hand experience bashing a business, don't bash. If there's proof, get it out there so the viewership can learn.

Michael
1982 SC Targa (Sold)
Old 09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Slumlord

Oh, I think you'll be hearing from some people Michael. Just a funny feeling I have. No reason.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

That would be good. With the subject line of Motormeister, I'm sure it will get a lot of searches in the future.

Now, I have read about some problems with their shipping and getting products to people timely. And some problems with sending the wrong product. But then, I've had problems with various vendors in that regards.

Please note, I'm not defending or endorsing MM. I just want to see some proof out on the board.
1982 SC Targa (Sold)
Old 09-20-2004, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Joe,
Do your research on all options available to you. Something I should have done more of myself. I can honestly report back on MM and would say stay away. Yes, they do rebuild alot of engines. The figure posted is in line with how many. Yes they do have a nice website. Yes they advertise in all the right mags. That doesnt make them reputable. I have seen their operation and it seemed fine on the surface. You never get to see everything though.
I have had my MM engine in my 71 for over 2 years with no problems. I have done over a dozen track days and always find 6500 rpms (sometimes higher) after the engine is up to operating temp, even if just driving around town. My 2.2 seems to have plenty of power for its displacement and fares better then most I have driven (also confirmed by others who did not know at the time who rebuilt my engine). Not even a oil leak to date.
That said, I got extremely lucky with my "California Proven" engine from them. If it wasnt for this board I may not have been so lucky. Unfortunatly by the time I found this board and others like it I was neck high in the MM process. I was able to talk (loudly) and resolve my issues with them in person (several times) which ended up delaying my rebuild another 3 months. I am not confident in or do I trust MM and that is the bottom line for me. I always felt that it was a stressed relationship at best with them and never felt they had my best interest or the best interest of my motor in mind. When problems were brought to their attention they seemed disinterested and unconcerned. It was a fight for me after I learned of the horror stories coming out of their shop. Hence all the personal visits and several letters to state my position.
I am not saying mistakes are not made by other shops. It is how those shops handle those mistakes and work with the customer that set them apart. There are several shops that I would have no problem taking my car too today for anything (Steve makes that list along with TRE). Ofcourse they are not in my area.
Okay, I guess I have said my .02 Should you need more info on my experience just let me know.

Dan Byers who runs a California Proven 2.2 in his Stay Puff
Old 09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

"Sure I know about the people Lefty cheated but hey, he's always been nice to me."

Would you do business with this (hypothetical) Lefty guy?
How many people would Lefty have to cheat before you figured it wasn't an accident?

If Lefty was very engaging and got your Confidence, and his partner Righty seem very knowledgable but screwed up written directions for the cam timing would you even know?

If you did catch the mistake and found out that is wasn't a typo what would you think then? ("Yes Righty, you set the dial indicator on the Intake, not the Exhaust. Look in the factory manual.")

There is a reason Excellence doesn't have full page ads from MM anymore...

I did learn something valuable from MM as a result of my own experience with them. Now my motto is "Trust No One, Measure Everything Yourself."
-Chris
Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Michael:

Do a simple search on this site and you'll find several first hand MM experiences.

Here are two; mine included:

My Motormeister Story (Two Parts - Long)

These guys litterally burned me so bad that the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck just hearing their name. I'm still dealing with this and looking for ways to get restitution.

It is imperative for anyone considering MM to search here, inquire with the BBB and the Department of Consumer Affairs' Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) who have investigated several MM claims (and BTW would be the venue for any class action typr approach).

If you want more detail, please feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck with your rebuild... Oliver

'73 911T: 2.4/ PMOs/ Electromotive Ignition
'03 Audi A4 Quattro Wagon
Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Slumlord

There are engine rebuilders on this forum that obviously know what they are doing and are passionate about their jobs. Then there is MM. It your money, it's your choice.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Jeeez! Guys need to use the search tool. I have written on several occasions that MM rebuilt my engine and tranny and how much trouble I've had. The tranny is still a wreck but they reimbursed me for the parts. All I can say is that it shifts most of the time. The engine: It took over 1.5 years to sort out all of the little issues. Rocker arms improperly installed, bad air box, wiring problems, etc, etc. Just save yourself a huge headache and contact Steve Weiner or TRE, or a host of other reputable shops. I spent as much money with MM as I would have with someone like Rennsport and got an inferior motor. Run away!!!
Troy
Present: 2011 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 & 4x4!, 2004 Toyota Sequoia (wife's)
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: