Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.2T leave it alone or?

I recently acquired a restoration project ('70 T).
My current dilema is should I just leave the 2.2 alone and drive it.
(Zero miles on the motor) or should I swap cams (Solex, E)? Which is more bang for the buck.
Is the gain significant enough to warrant the cost? I have the stock Zeniths. Does it make sense to change my induction and/or distributor.

Car will be a semi dailey driver

TIA
"Long Hoods Rule"
"RICE - The Breakfast of Champions"
Old 09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

COLDBASS,

You have a fresh 2.2T? You don’t need any Bang. Leave it alone and use it daily. That is a great driver for normal commute, drive to the store, kids to go-kart race, etc. Install a trailer hitch and a go-kart trailer.
Preserve the body/chassis.

If you want some sport, turn your 2.4 into a 2.8S MFI twinplug and make the ‘71S lightweight and possibly 911SGT appearing. IMHO, that is one of the best street/track 911s. Keep it subtle, a “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing.”

2c

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Grady,

Thank for your input. The solex/E cams dont appear to be too costly...

I am truly undecided on the final configurations on either car ('70 and '71). I keep looking a June '03 issue in excellence w/that '69 and a 3.6/3.8 motor in it.

I also have access to an additional 2.4 core so I guess that I could have variations of a 2.4 in each car...just have to waste that 2.2...

I like your suggestion of the wolf in sheeps clothing...

Bob
"Long Hoods Rule"
Old 09-28-2004, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
I don't believe you can run a Solex/early E cam with T pistons so you'd have to change pistons or have the tops cut for additional clearance.

Besides I think the T cam is a better choice for a 2.2L street motor. I wouldn't consider the E cam unless the motor was at least 2.4L and even then if the car was just for street use I think T cam might still be the better choice.

I just rebuilt the 2.4T motor that came with my 72' coupe as stock and it's a great little motor. I had a 2.7S CIS motor in there for a while and my initial impression is that I like the 2.4T better. They are actually very similar in the way the torque curve feels but the 2.4T has better throttle response and the MFI induction sounds great. It's got heart.

If it were me I would keep the T as is for the street and save the S for the track and events. Hearing that 2.4S as it screams toward redline would be a real treat.

Have you driven the 71'S and 70'T back to back for comparison. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____

Last edited by Bobboloo; 09-29-2004 at 01:06 AM..
Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yesterday, I spoke w/Rich (my tuner) and he has a few spare cams that he is sending out for regrinding alternate specs (Solex, E). We will then check piston clearance. Also, we are upgrading to a Bosch dist.

No, the "T" was in the process of getting restored, the PO lost interest; the City of Downey got on their ass. Apparently, having a non-running car, although located behind a gate and covered, is a big NO-NO. It had to be in the garage or moved off the property. God bless those civil servants For an exchange of $$$$, I helped them with their problem. Motor and trans were rebuilt and never installed (Thompson, Thomas ??? Porsche in the Pasadena area???). The car is primer red, original color is Tangerine. Currently having the Zeniths rebuilt as the motor was sitting for a couple years (seals probably dry) and the linkage has some corrision. The plan is also to have the linkage zinc plated and the manifolds powder-coated.

The '71 is not in my possesion yet. It has not moved in several years and the current owner is kinda a slow poke. The two 2.4 motors are at the shop waiting for some decisions on my part. I have complete MFI systems, spares and Webbers available for both. I like Grady's suggestion about the 2.8. I will probably end up with 3 motors...LOL.

Ultimately, I want a mild 911, that is quicker than my 912E, and a
another 911 for street/occasional track use.
"Long Hoods Rule"
Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow, sounds like you have your hands full. I am rebuilding a 2.4 maybe to a 2.7RS and a 2.0 engine. The 2.0 for daily use and the 2.4 for street and track.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
Here's a cool little chart that shows the differences of the cams.

You'll notice that the T cam 2.4 motor is the strongest of the 2.4 motors up to 3500 RPM at which point the 2.4E becomes the strongest motor until you hit 4300 RPM at which point the 2.4S becomes the strongest of the 2.4 motors. At 5500 RPM the S is leaving the T in the dust but how much time do you spend at 5500 RPM on the street? These differences are on 2.4 liters. When you put these cams on a 2.2 motor you have to rev a little more to get to each cams power band.

My point is that the T motor will feel stronger in the power band that you are usually using for street driving. If I wanted more power for a street car I would look at increasing either the displacement, the CR or both.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 09-29-2004, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, looks like my 2.2 will remain virgin-like...
The 2.4s...well...lots more options

Bob
"Long Hoods Rule"
Old 09-30-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: