Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to jakev
Question Exhaust port gunk

So, with the heat exchangers off, I noticed that there are variations of deposit in the exhaust ports. 3 of them have a brownish, dry deposit in them, and 3 of them have an oily gunk deposit. Is there anything I can infer from this, or am I just whistling in the wind?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe can be oil from a bad exhaust valve stem.
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

The three with the oily deposits, I agree with Nitro, probably worn exhaust valve guides.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 10-08-2004, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I change the exhaust system from a 1979 3.0 911 the last saturday. I notice that the engine on exhaust ports from cylinders #2 and #3 are wet wit oil gunk. Thats why the engine smoke white some times at the start up. Worn valve guides or bad valve seals can be the problem. You can use the car until the problem grows, because it is a bad valve guide you will need to tear down the engine. If a bad valve stem you can change it with the engine installed in the car, but is a little difficult. You will need a overhead valve spring compressor, a spark plug air hose (can be from a compression tester gauge) and an air compressor. If you will need to replace the valve guide, you can refresh the engine with some new parts like gaskets, seal, etc. Also another problem that can be the origin of the oily gunk can be the use of teflon valve seals instead the original viton valve seals. I have really bad experience with teflon valve seals, I really don't recomended it.

I dont worry about oily exhaust ports until the problem go really bad.
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: