Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Factory wrist pin clip installer is the bees knees!

I bought the factory P9500 piston wrist pin clip installer tool the other day and I just got around to using it last week. It makes installing the thicker wrist pin clips very easy. I realize some of you don't have any problem installing wrist pin clips and even I don't have a problem with the thinner kind like the factory 3.2's and earlier use. The ones that the 964 use are much stiffer and frustrating. I just measured some and the factory clips for the 3.2 are 1.4mm thick and the 964 (and the ones I get with JE pistons) are 1.7mm thick.

Here's the tool. You actually have to order two part #'s to get this. EDIT: I checked and you only have to order one part # (000 721 950 00)

You put the clip in the "back" with your finger and shove it to the other end using the fat end of the "pusher" tool until it snaps into position at the "front" end.

You flip the "pusher" around like this to install the clip. The end of the plunger fits into the wrist pin to locate everything. You actually need to put the outer part of the tool against the piston before inserting the pusher.

Hold the outer part of the tool up against the piston and give the pusher a couple wacks and the clip snaps into place.

I've only used it with 964 pistons. I checked and it won't work with some 98mm JE pistons I have.

I paid about $75 for the tool but it was worth it.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 10-27-2004 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
That is really cool and it makes sense how it works. I had a heck of a time installing the wrist pins, even with the two slotted screwdrivers method. Chris, no wonder you are irrationally exuberant right?

Gruppe B # 3911

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/cassidyp
Old 10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

It almost looks like you could make one on a lathe using scrap material. I bet Al would work well just not last as long. If you only do a few rebuilds this may be fine.

What was the reason it did not work with the JE's? Was it the design of the piston or their retaining clips?
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-27-2004, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jpnovak
It almost looks like you could make one on a lathe using scrap material. I bet Al would work well just not last as long. If you only do a few rebuilds this may be fine.

What was the reason it did not work with the JE's? Was it the design of the piston or their retaining clips?
Actually, that was half the reason I made the post in the first place - I figured someone would probably want to make one.

The reason it doesn't work on the JE's is because the wrist pin hole doesn't have enough room around it to fit the tool in.

I feel a Paint session coming on....
This is a drawing of with the pistons upside down. The Mahle has some room between the edge of the wristpin hole and the underside of the piston. On the JE there isn't any room in that area so the tool won't fit. The tool has a notch in it to clear the skirt of the Mahle piston.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 10-27-2004 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-27-2004, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Where you buy the tool? My special tool for wrist pin are a small nose plire and is very tricky to insert the wrist pin. I can change my special tool for the correct tool.
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Chris, I made a sketch at work after seeing your post I've got a lathe and some Al stock, but I won't be making it until I start my teardown of the 3.2. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitrometano
Where you buy the tool? My special tool for wrist pin are a small nose plire and is very tricky to insert the wrist pin. I can change my special tool for the correct tool.
It's a factory tool, part # 000 721 950 00 so Pelican or the dealer should be able to get it.
-Chris
Old 10-27-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
Chris, I made a sketch at work after seeing your post I've got a lathe and some Al stock, but I won't be making it until I start my teardown of the 3.2. Thanks!
You don't reallly need it for the 3.2's but if it makes things easier why not? I think I have some 3.2 pistons hanging around that I can test it on. Let me know if you need some dimensions.
-Chris
Old 10-27-2004, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
I didn't need it for installing the clips on my 100's, but you should pay close attention when REMOVING the clips as well. They have so much tension on them that if you aren't careful they will fling to the other side of the room. I wasn't that fortunate, half of them hit me in the forehead before I got the hang of it.

Nice tool though, if you're doing engines all the time then definitely worth the investment.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

We haven't (or I should say Chris) needed a tool (unless you call me the tool) thus far, but what the heck. A little playing on the lathe and I'll have a neat little tool to add to my collection, and when I start ripping into the engines I've got here and there...it'll be nice to have.

Chris, thanks for the offer on dimensions. I may take you up on that in a couple of weeks...or if you get bored one night...start measuring and shoot me what you get.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

I am not quite ready for the tool either. Maybe this would be a good time to make one. Souk, post pics when you start making chips.

For the JEs could you modify the tool with a "clamp" of sorts that grabs the other side of the piston, or even the connecting rod? I have never held JEs in hand so I can't say.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-28-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I just dug up a 3.2 piston and checked. The tool won't work with the 3.2 pistons for the same reason it wouldn't work with the 98mm JE's I tried. A homemade one might work however. The distance between the end where the clip sits and the notch for the skirt would have to be much shorter than the factory tool.
In the end it looks the P9500 tool is great for 964/993/996 motors but won't work for earlier cars.
-Chris
Old 10-28-2004, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Well! I'm in the market for some 9.5:1 - 9.8:1 98mm JE pistons for the 3.2, so if anyone has some for sale, I'll make you a lowball offer

Otherwise, I may be begging Santa for some this year. When I get my hands on some, I'll start making chips....

I'll have some 3.2 95mm P/C's coming soon so I may play with that too. Chris, is the 3.2 piston close to the JE? If I make a tool for the 95mm Mahle, how close will that get me to the JE tool?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cassidyp
That is really cool and it makes sense how it works. I had a heck of a time installing the wrist pins, even with the two slotted screwdrivers method. Chris, no wonder you are irrationally exuberant right?
Nah, I think its a chemical imbalance.
-Chris
Old 10-29-2004, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: