Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1000 miles after rebuild

I just finished the 1000 mile checkup after rebuild and would like to share what I found with the list. First, my car is an 87 930 (50,000 miles) which I rebuilt with 3.4 liter RUF pistons (7.5 to 1) and Mahle cylinders.

I retorqued the heads and had only 4 of 24 head bolts turn which I hope is normal. I reset the valves but really don't think they needed it. They all felt just right before the adjustment. I then checked all of the oil lines, hoses, and hose clamps and found no leaks.

I discovered the distributor signal wire was being pinched where it ran under the left cam tensioner oil line and the insulation had worn through. I repaired the wire and rerouted it to eliminate this problem.

The one think that I did not change on the initial rebuild was the spark plug wires. I checked all of them for resistence, and everything check out fine. But, after the rebuild I was getting some very erratic ignition problems. I finally traced it down to a bad coil wire. The connector to the distributor cap had gone bad. I installed a Perma-tune CD and coil, and a new set of Clewett Engineering plug wires.

Another surprise was the fitting for the hose connecting to the rear of the pop-off valve was loose.
I used some JB weld to fix this problem.

The one last problem I had was the oil line to the front fender mounted oil cooler started leaking. When this first happened I saw oil leaking out from under what I thought was the rear of the car, and thought I had an engine problem. But after I settled down I found the problem at the oil cooler. It seems like a very strange oil line to fail since it is not subjected to the heat of the engine and moves very little if at all, but *stuff* happens.

Overall this rebuild has been a great experience and I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board. The knowledge and problem solving in these pages makes it possible to do a Porsche engine rebuild and to do it right.
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
3.4 RUF pistons and cylinders
Euro CIS head
Old 11-06-2004, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
nice one victor. is this your first 911 engine?

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

First 911, and it had to be the turbo. I've rebuilt big block chev engines, but what a difference. Without Wayne's book I would have never attempted it. Even most of my Porsche friends thought I was crazy. Randy Greff (Greff Motors, New Orleans) told me if I got in trouble to just pack it up and send it to him in a big box and he would finish it. With that kind of backup, why not.

The most surprising think was how long it took to get parts and machine work. I'm just use to the next day service for American big blocks. But, I have to admit everything came back perfect.
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
Euro CIS head
Old 11-08-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
did you have a lot of machine work?

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just the heads. competition engineering did a great job. Because of the higher compression, we used the head gaskets from the C2 turbo. The heads were machined to accept these gaskets. I also had to machine each gasket to insure clearance for the 98 mm pistons.
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
Euro CIS head
Old 11-09-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
anything you regret not doing "while you were there"

Old 11-09-2004, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Everything turned out great. This was such a low mileage engine (50,000 miles), I did not split the case. There were no leaks in the case before and none now, and I main bearings and oil pump are just broken in. I did use ARP rod bolts and new rod bearings. I also added the oil restricters in the heads that Wayne recommends and the oil pressure is higher with a hot engine at low rpms.

The only other change I considered was different cams. But the car starts, idles and runs great with the stock cams and CIS.
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
Euro CIS head
Old 11-10-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
nice to hear from someone who kept it all sensible with his rebuild! I was hoping to take the same route (would of have to split the case but the mods were going to be basic and i was keeping the cis) but ive buckled under the lure of efi twin plugging etc. i don't know where the money is coming from, i don't know what im doing but my mountain of expensive engine parts is getting really big so that must count for something.

anyway, congratulations on your build and have fun!

Andy
P.S. got any pics?

Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here's a shot of the pistons, cylinders, case and heads

Here is the long block
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
Euro CIS head
Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
nice. what did you use to clean stuff?

Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: