Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking 911 Head Before and After Photos

Sent my heads off the Henry at Supertec to get the heads in usable shape. I knew it was leaking around one of the intake valves and 5 of the exhaust valves. Oh yeah, and they were pretty nasty looking...

Here are the before pictures:

Please note that my instructions to Henry were not to help me build a show motor or a race motor. My instructions were based on my latest project, a 1972 911T targa. It needs a motor and I have a supposedly good 2.7 that I am doing a re-ring topend on to replace the 2.4 that only runs (but still runs) on 4.5 cylinders. I am on an extremely limited budget and my goal is to build the motor to last 30k-50k (probably 6-10 years as my second 911) miles so I can drive it instead of just letting it sit in my garage like it has the last 7 years. Budget, budget, budget. My instructions were something like "Do the minimum so I can drive it a while." No porting, no polishing, no twin plug, no new parts unless the old ones are out of spec and unlikely to last for the target mileage...

My next rebuild will hopefully happen BEFORE I need a new motor and I plan to take my time and do everything perfect. This time it's about getting something instead of nothing.

Anyway, Henry fixed me up. It was a good news/bad news thing. Good:
- Heads had had a recent valve work guides installed and so new ones weren't needed.

Bad:
- All exhaust valves were bent and needed replacing. Although the valve guides were OK the previous valve job was crap.
- The heads were actually 2.4 and needed a chamfer machined in to clear the larger diameter pistons.
- Needed some exhaust studs replaced and inserts

Thanks to Henry for helping me get my parts in usable form. They came back looking better than I expected based on my instructions to him. He was a pleasure to deal with and I really like the product. It's always nice to get a little more than you expect rather than less. I can't wait to get my car in good running shape.

Here's a few quick after pictures of one of the heads. I think they look better in person than the pictures.

Happy motoring,
Rob

Oh, here's one of the car it's going to go ing while I'm here.

1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

The pictures prove, what? He has a good bead blaster?

I like to hear of leak down numbers like 5% or less after the fix. Thats the proof that the job was really done.

I am not trying to poo poo a good looking repair job, but just looks don't do the job. HOw about some numbers, before and after. Like for example valve stem clearence before and after. a picture of the valve seat before and after, pictures of the valve grind on the valve and seat, after. Some data on the spring pressure after.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
Nice POSTER!!! glad to see henry hooked you up and did his usual great job.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by snowman
Dude, get up on the wrong side of the snow bank today? While you're 100% right, it's kind of like you're raining on his parade...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

The heads look good and that longhood targa is a beauty. I'm looking forward to reading that you've got it back on the road.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
What's the blue stuff?

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 12-07-2004, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would rather be driving

Those heads look fantastic. I have not doubt that Henry did them right!

The blue stuff looks like Dykem Blue. Its a machinist dye used for layout and also an indicator of removed material. I suspect it was used during the valve grind and lapping process.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
chill snowman chill!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

he's baaaack!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
like a superhero from "the incredibles" but with the hump.-LOOK! UP THERE-IN THE SKY-ITS.......ITS...'SNOWMAN!'

whoops. sorry jack!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah Jack, I bet he's just passing off good looks to cover a $hitty job...you know Hnery, can't seem to do a darned thing right around here....

Rob,
Good looking heads...I'd bet my life that those heads will WORK great too...

R/
Dustin
Old 12-07-2004, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

sorry, clump of snow fell on my head

but its good to be back.

Heads do look good

but do they really work? just kidding, really honest engine.

I was just ranting and raving about some local work done by non green card carying labor. Very clean on the surface, but NOTHING done below the surface, a total fraud on the customer. What you see is not what you get. THese guys make all mechanics look bad. Nothing to do with the supplier here.

Last edited by snowman; 12-07-2004 at 09:37 PM..
Old 12-07-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by snowman

I like to hear of leak down numbers like 5% or less after the fix. Thats the proof that the job was really done.

I am not trying to poo poo a good looking repair job, but just looks don't do the job. HOw about some numbers, before and after. Like for example valve stem clearence before and after. a picture of the valve seat before and after, pictures of the valve grind on the valve and seat, after. Some data on the spring pressure after.
You want specs? I want the specs! You can't handle the specs! Deep down in places you don't talk about , you want me on that grinder....you need me on that grinder....... Oops just channeling a little of Jack.
Yes, just clean work is not enough. The specs have to fit the job. Are these heads perfect? No, but they are pretty nice.
Someone before me had butchered the seats so we ended up cutting them a little deeper than we would like but they are all the same and all seal well.
The valves had .0005 to .001 taper on the stems, well within spec. the guides are new. The spring were set at 35.0mm in and 35.5mm exhaust which yields a 85 lb seat pressure. We had to use a special cutter to clean up the heads because the seats were set so deep in the heads. This also caused us to use more shims under the spring seat than normal. These heads started their life as 2.4 heads and because they were going on a 2.7 we chamfered the chamber for clearance. Would new heads be better? Sure , but lets not throw out the baby with the bath water.
These heads will offer years of service at a reasonable cost and no undue risk. Isn't that what we all want?
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 12-17-2004 at 08:20 AM..
Old 12-08-2004, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Aw come on Henry, a few hundred hours with a dremel and some polishing rouge would have made a huge difference, I'm disapointed!
Just kidding, IIRC I'm the one that posted a while ago that show don't make it go.
Sounds like you found the right solution considering what the customer wanted and what the customer needed. Not an easy thing to do but you made it happen.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

Henry,

You still didn't explain that blue stuff. By that I mean why you left it there. Looks tackey after all that good work.

Last edited by snowman; 12-08-2004 at 08:36 AM..
Old 12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The layout dye is easy to remove.
http://www.dykem.com/Products/MarkingSystems/RemoversCleaners/rmvclnr.htm
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
BLUE STUFF !!! OH NO

Snowman
With your eye for detail, perhaps you belong in Ohio tracking the recount. It would be about as useful as your critique of the unsightly " blue stuff".
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 12-08-2004, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Henry you coming on here just to respond to an ignorant remark says a lot to me about your integrity. Those are some nice looking heads and the specs aren't so bad either!

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 12-08-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
blue stuff. brilliant.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

how about a party? i have the tar and feathers and henry has the blue stuff. anybody got a nice rail?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: