Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil piston woes

Okay, so i took a week off of work to build the 2.7 and I am almost there. Currently putting the oil relief pistons in...I have two pistons, identical, no brainer where they go. But then I have two different lengths of springs and two different plugs. I am pretty sure the smaller diameter plug goes on the side of the case. (it fits the casting better) But the two plugs have different depth wells where the spring sits. Do i put the shorter spring in the deeper well? The difference in well depth is about the same as the difference in spring length. If I sit the two on the workbench and measure from the shoulder to the end of the spring they are roughly equivalent when I have short spring in shallow well and long spring in deep well. Do I just have a couple of mismatched (yearwise) caps and springs?

Eli

I have severe while-you-are-in-there-itis.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
If you use the short spring with the deep plug is there very little pressure on the piston? Same problem I ran into I think, this is a good question. I hope someone can help us both out because I have the same question?

Craig
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

with my highly calibrated, completely inaccurate sense of feel, the long spring in shallow well seemed to have alot of tension, whereas the other one didnt have as much.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I also noted that only one spring and plug is listed on the pelican catalog.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Eli & Craig

The longer spring goes vertical from the bottom of the case and should have a 'guide sleeve' that goes in it (This stops it from snaking in the hole) (waynes book page 138). The plugs were different (I cant say which way :-( but were superceded to the same part 999 064 226 02), Id suggest you buy 2 new plugs because I think the plugs were used to alter the effective spring lenght and now its done in the spring, I assume because you have the diffent springs you have done the iol bypass mod

HTH

Neven
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I dont have a guide sleeve inside of the spring, there wasnt one when i removed the plug. Of this I am certain. I will order new plugs though. And a guide sleeve if our host has it, otherwise I guess I will fabricate something

Eli

Old 12-23-2004, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Eli

Are the pistons the old or new type? (new are solid, old have holes in the side of them), The guide sleeve is http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/db.cgi?db=partsearch&uid=default&description=930107533&view_records=Click+to+View+Parts&re=on&mh=20

HTH

Neven
Old 12-23-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Read the section in the Engine Rebuild book on this - you can run your engine out of oil pressure if you use the wrong pistons / springs with the oil bypass modification...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-23-2004, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

new type, no holes.

Eli

Old 12-24-2004, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: