Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Insane Dutchman

Garage
Hey Wayne...Suggestions for your GREAT book

Wayne, just planning ahead. I have the engine rebuild book, it sits in my favourite reading room and is read continuously...great job!

A couple of suggestions that would help....

1. How about a "loose leaf" or form of binding for the book that would allow it to lie flat on the work bench?

2. How about bigger format type so us with failing eyesight (old age is such a PITA) can read with our bifocals on?

3. How about a separately sold version that has the Tools/Materials/Hardware etc (e.g see top of P. 175), preferably in checklist format so that we can use them on the bench as a means to make sure that we have everything we need. Large format, durable sort of stuff would be great. Might suggest one page per step, maybe with a place for notes and with the facing page being the picture of the parts?

4. How about a larger format version of the appendices? There is a ton of great information in there, again, it'd be great to have a version that could be used more easily in the workshop...maybe one page with the picture, opposing page with the list of part numbers?

Anyway....just for your consideration!

Dennis
Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

1. Good suggestion, however, these books don't sell well in bookstores, and the publisher didn't want to limit the market. (the books get easily damaged on the shelf and then can't be returned).

2. I had a limited number of pages to work with. Small type or less info? I joked with my editor that we should include a jeweler's loop with the book for the Appendices!

3. Not a bad suggestion - in the meantime, you can make a photocopy of the page and blow it up...

4. See #2 - it's all about $$$

The upcoming transmission book will probably be self-publised by Pelican. It will be bigger type, will probably have a sprial binder, but it will cost more than the Engine Rebuild Book.

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 12-29-2004, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Insane Dutchman

Garage
Yes, usually comes down to what is more cost effective. One question about the transmission book....will it include G50's or just 915's?

I am now in the G50 club with my '89....

Dennis
Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne

Love your books.....still waiting for the 3 series one

Here are my suggestions:

Use a 3 ring binder to contain the book...don't sell it just loose leaf. This is cheap to print and bind IN HOUSE. You can sell them off the website and don't have to worry about a publisher. You probably already have the book on CD anyway to start?

The 3 ring binder will allow people to add to it and keep photos and notes of their particular car with it in a sort of album.

It would allow corrections, additions, ect. to be made and 'published' easier.

You could add more to the book when sold in this format. i.e. pictures, diagrams ect. Tools and parts lists. I would think a 3 inch binder would work great. I know that these can be made and custom logoed for less than $3-5 a binder. Maybe in White or black with the Pelican logo largely printed with the name of the manaul on the front and the name of the manual down the spine?

Aren't most original factory manuals done this way to begin with for the obvious reasons?

A school I used to work for published their manuals this way for ease of use and the above reasons and have been doing so for over 25 years and haven't changed to a fancy bound book.

Keep up the good work.......and keep working on the 3 series manual.....I appreciate all that you have done for motoring world.

Regards,

Brian Rogers
79 930
95 M3
75 2002
98 Maxima
95 Exloder
Old 12-29-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, when do you expect the transmission book to come out? Will it cover the 901, 915, and 930?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: