Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Groovy911SC
Pilot bearing for early SC crank

For my re-build of my 1980 911 SC 3.0 engine, I sourced a standard/standard crank. The original crank was damaged. The new (to me ) crank was an early SC crank which uses a different type of pilot bearing. This bearing does not have the three screw holes in the mating surface. I am confused as to how I am going to attach the bearing to the crank before I put the clutch on the flywheel. From what I can tell, once I place the clutch on the flywheel, there will be no way to secure the bearing in place mahing alignment of the clutch impossible.
Does anyone have any experience with these older SC cranks and pilot bearings?
Any help will be appreciated! I an trying to get my engine in the car over the weekend and I am hoping I will not have to wait!
Thanks again and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
Groovy,

As described near the end of this thread there are different crank/flywheel pairings. In -79 the pilot is pressed into the flywheel (small opening); in 80+ the pilot is bolted into the end of the crank (and shows through a larger opening in the flywheel). Wayne's engine book has very good pictures of the earlier configuration; the 101 Projects book has photos of the later one.

Sorry to add to your hangover, but it appears you need a different flywheel. Hopefully one of the old pros here (I'm old, but not a pro) will chime in and maybe offer an alternative.

Happy New Year.
1978SC - SSIs/964 cams/JE 9.5/turbo tie rods/factory short-shift/Seine Systems shift/heater backdate/Polybronze F/R /trailing arm monoballs/Carrera sways/7&9x16 Fuchs/Carrera brakes/WEVO engine/trans mounts.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you will need the early flywheel and pilot bearing.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Groovy911SC
CRAP!
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

once i saw a late flywheel used on an early crank. the pilot bearing housing was tig welded to the flywheel. a bit odd, but seemed to work fine. i would tig it when the flywheel was bolted to the crank, so the bearing was not too far in or out. the needle bearing itself could still be replaced.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: