Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exhaust Valve Opinions ?

There is a little debate going on where I work about my project so I decided to get the opinion of my fellow pelican members on the subject at hand.

My 930 valves have about 130K miles on them but are still in spec and have reground perfectly. Between worn exhaust valve guides, a couple of eroded seats and the fact that the EGTs were at one time hot enough to have melted off a few of the air injector tips I am planning to buy a new set of exhaust valves.

I have seen what kind of carnage can occur when the head comes off of a valve and don't want to see that occur to my rebuilt motor.

I also still remember the part of my materials engineering classes concerning cyclic stress fatigue and realize that my valves are probably most of the way through their safety factor.

The other guys at the shop understand where I am coming from, but for $350 a couple have said thats a lot of money for peace of mind.

Do any other DIY rebuilders or machinists care to share their opinion or policy concerning the replacement of exhaust valves, even ones that clean up perfectly and are well within spec?

Thanks . . .
Old 04-01-2005, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Quote:
but for $350 a couple have said thats a lot of money for peace of mind
I think $350 is cheap insurance. How many time have the valves been ground?

Youll kick youself in the butt if you do have an exhaust valve related issue that costs $10000
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thats the way I look at it.

I am the first person to regrind these valves, but its the heat and stress fatigue of the stem where it connects to the head that I am worried about.

With the additional spring pressure and the extra severe duty they will have to put up with when the engine is back together, I think the old valves are no longer up to the job.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a set of intakeand exhaust valves with 400 break in miles on them. Let me know if you might be interested

Eric Hood
Old 04-01-2005, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are you willing to sell just the exhaust? What did you do, go to oversized valves?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

When in doubt throw them out......and valves I rarely measure...as stated above.......plus "do I feel Lucky?"I think you biggest question to debate on is which kind of valve to use>......I lean on the sodiums
Old 04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

SS valves are fine in the turbo heads....they offer improved flow, lighter weight, smaller stem sizes undercut etc. They are much cheaper as well than the porsche stuff. Yes, I went to larger custom valves that is why I have the extra set. Here is a pic of my valves and combustion chamber for you.

Eric Hood
Old 04-02-2005, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

I dont want to say whats right and wrong....but this is what I do know.
The sodium ones are slightly more hvy..but in a turbo your not going to see 10000 rpm..and there is the heat problem asso with turbos (more heat at lower rpm so it is nice to have a way to flush it out.)
All class 8 big truck eng use sodium.....and these things put out big pwr at 1200 rpm.
Is true you cant hardly burn a SS valve but its the residual heat that might cause some problems........just m.o.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
What about dimensional stability? Which of the two mentioned (SS or Sodium) provide the best wear characteristics when it comes to ensuring long life for the valve guides?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cnavarro
Eric, who does your stainless valves? I've heard that Del West makes a damn fine stainless valve. How about inconel? Although not a "shelf" item, they can be custom made, along with custom guides and seats (the seats used with stainless valves, or stock ones for that matter, are too soft. I think I have some research we had done way back for a customer. I'll see if I can dig it up- drop me an email and i'll forward you anything I can find.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

'99 Boxster powered by Flat 6 Innovations; '10 Cayman S (DFI testbed)
Old 04-05-2005, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

We use copper on our exhaust seats. The valve guides are custom made bronze units. As for valves, we either use ferrera or manley lines. We do use the higher temp valves. Inconel is another option that has been used, but never held up any better than the high end stainless stuff we use. My head porter has never had an issue with the stainless stuff, and he is responsible for the head work on several of the fastest Porsches in the world. I have used del west stuff on my mustang engines but never in the Porsche stuff. They make real nice titanium valves, but that will not last on the street. I have never used their stainless valves.

Eric Hood
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

werk-1......just refer to what the owner of the mother ship said and you cant go wrong........worked for Porsche too.....the inventer of this ans.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Even though a good modern exhaust valve can survive without sodium, it will run hotter than a sodium valve will.

The last thing a hi-po 911 or 930 needs is a large glowing hot area in the combustion chamber.

Sodium keeping the head of the valve cool has positive benefits beyond extended valve life.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: