Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Motor opinions

Okay, here is the deal. What would you do if were in my shoes.
I am in the process of building myself a warmed up 3.6 for my 84, but, I have a customer who wants to buy it. I have access to a well priced set of 3.5 P/C to build a killer motor out my 3.2. Hmmmm what would you do?? Keep the 3.6 or sell it and build a 3.5 similair to Ralph's but with a bit bigger cam??? Seriously, I want your opinion!!! No matter what it is...

Jeff
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Re: Motor opinions

Quote:
Originally posted by catca
Okay, here is the deal. What would you do if were in my shoes.
I am in the process of building myself a warmed up 3.6 for my 84, but, I have a customer who wants to buy it. I have access to a well priced set of 3.5 P/C to build a killer motor out my 3.2. Hmmmm what would you do?? Keep the 3.6 or sell it and build a 3.5 similair to Ralph's but with a bit bigger cam??? Seriously, I want your opinion!!! No matter what it is...

Jeff
Sell the 3.6L for hopefully a nice, tidy profit and simply build yourself the exact same motor again for your car.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Are you entirely stripping down both motors? Will the 3.5 use Motronic or do you have another induction system for it? I ask, because a 3.5 can be, depending on the modifications, much more powerful than a 3.6 that's just warmed over.

Heck, if it were me, I'd fix up the 3.6, sell it for a profit, sell the p/cs as well, then make a hotted-up 3.2 from what you have left. A strong 3.2 might still be close to or as powerful as a 3.6, and you might have cash left for other modifications.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The only replacement for displacement is BOOST Come over to the dark side and run a turbo...

Eric
Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
I dont think turbo's are the darkside, lag certainly is but the payoff is oh so fun. As far as the motor goes I certainly enjoy the 3.6 more than the 3.2 right off the bat. Depending on how much you want to spend, what you want, how your going to drive all that jazz its really up to you. Building these sub 3.6 hot rod motors is I think a lot more fun than a warmed over 3.6 depending on what kind of "warming" you want to do. Torque? Top end? Revs? HP? Flexibility, I am sure you will make the right decision either way.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Need more info: Such as (approx) sale of the 3.6 $$, Cost to build your version of the 3.5, Cost to duplicate the current 3.6 project.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The 3.6 sale would be a profitable one or I won't sell it. After all I bought it to put in my car!!! The 3.5 would be a full rebuild of a core that I do not have yet...

The 3.6 is already completely apart and the heads, P/C set are arriving home today from rennsport systems. The cams have been reground (DC20) and the rockers have ben rebushed and ground. The plan was to finish it off with motronic (stevew chip) and 993 eshuast. Should make a good strong motor.

The 3.5 would pretty much be identical to Ralph's (motor envey) except I would use a little more agressive cam an maybe crankfire ingnition.
Should also be a strong motor

The cost would be about the same for either motor when factoring in the sale profit of the 3.6 is applied to the 3.5. I just like the idea of a hot rod 3.2 based motor.

Turbo? I have had a few turbo cars. I like the throttle response of a NA motor better, just my opinion too. I also do not want to have to modify the body (tail) to fit and intercooler...... I also want a more or less bolt in motor so customers can see it and say "hey, I want one of those!"

If I sell the 3.6 it will be in a customers car so I guess people will still see it and I will have the 3.5 in my car so maybe I get the best of both??

Who knows...??

Jeff
Old 05-04-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
My personal opinion is that the 3.5 would fit a little better in your car. No engine tin modifications (except for the spark plug wires) you can keep it stock looking if you want. The exhaust will be more of a bolt up.

Now the 12 plug cap from Aaron would sure look cool.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Jeremy, there just does not seem to be a match for motronic and Aaron's cap. I have read that thread more than once and don't see an application for that. Yes it would probably be easier to just do the 3.5 when all is said and done....

Jeff
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Yeah too bad - hopefully somebody will come up with a solution.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

There is probably a market for a drop in distributor, as set up that does not need a 600 buck Andial splitter or a 964 dizzy (with potential belt problems). Crank fire is cool, but still about the same cash as the 964 set up. There has to be a genius here on the board who can so this right??

Jeff
Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Don't forget that the 3.6 has at least 1 huge advantage for this uncertain age.

namely knock sensors

That said I would take the profit on the 964 and build a warmed up 993 for an even better power plant

you wouldn't believe how these things can rev when done right
Old 05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

I'm split on this one.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 05-09-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Knock sensor is a big benefit- good point Bill = although I have heard of a few folks that have trashed their 3.6's with knock sensors too. I don't think it's foolproof - but another degree of insulation would sure be nice. Displacement is a big benefit too. For the money - I might be inclined to try one of Charles' 3.7 big bore jug sets. Find a core 3.2 - new rod bolts - arp or supertech head studs - JE pistons - extrude hone intake - port and polish the heads - free flowing head - stick some PMO's on there and you could have a real firebreather...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've had mixed results with the knock sensor. I know individuals who run a safeguard and just set some ridiculous amount of advance and just drive, letting the safeguard back it off automatically. I personally have only used it as an insurace policy, leaving the amount of advance specificed for a particular engine by the factory. It's a good policy if you are going that far to put a knock sensor that you should also run an A/F mix gauge to make sure you don't have any lean spots that could cause detonation and knocking. The safeguard can do both with one single instrument cluster. I personally am considering putting a dual cht westach 3" cluster to replace the clock, so I can monitor my head temps.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 05-10-2005, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: