Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What's going on? #1 rocker loose, #4 tight

I am installing the #1 intake and #4 intake rockers back in my 3.6 to begin timing the cam.

After tightening the rocker shaft bolt down, there seemed to much side to side play on #1 rocker than #4. #1 also seemed loose in its movement than #4. These are the same ones from the car.

Is this okay? Is this going to hurt anything?

Second question is how do you get a torque wrench in there to torque down the 5mm bolt?

thanks,
anthony
Old 05-07-2005, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not sure I can answer the first part of your question. If you could measure the side to side movement it might help.

Since you have all the rockers out you can torque the #1 rocker shaft by using a long extension bar going down thru the rocker bores of cylinders 2 and 3. Your torque wrench will be at the front of the engine. A 3/8" extension will just clear the bores.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Doh, why didn't I think of using a long extension bar down through the rocker bores. Thanks Walt.

BTW, I measured the side to side play of the rocker. They are both around .4mm. Driver side was easier to move left and right than passenger's. I guess it is due to the rocker shaft or the rocker on the driver is a bit more worn than the passenger's.

---anthony
Old 05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: