Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.9L slip ins for 964/993

Motor Me***** is selling a 3.9L 104mm slip in P&C set. (Read no machining) These are Alum cyls with Steel liners, allows for thin wall but very strong. Any builders on this forum use these? Anyone know who the manufacturer is? Is this good technology or smoke & mirrors?
Thanx in advance
Marv

Link to eBay auction for 3.9 P&C's
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You will be much happier with the LNengineering stuff. I do know of a place who builds cylinders like these, but they are aimed at the turbo crowd.

Eric
Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My own personal experience with sleeved aluminum cylinders is that they do work *ok* when a liner is pressed into them, but I wouldn't exactly call it performance by any stretch of the imagination. You're loosing significant cooling and also lack sufficient sealing area for any long term reliability and longevity. I have a 100mm sleeved 930 cylinder in my office for which I am supplying replacements for just this reason. Not to push cylinders or anything, but you'll be happier with slip in 102s that are bored out and replated than having the added displacement. From our dyno testing, I would figure somewhere between a 7%-15% loss in HP going from a nikasil cylinder to a sleeved or straight up cast-iron cylinder. If you think the extra displacement will make up for that loss or this is just a weekend warrior, then go for it.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: