Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question oil additives?

Are oil additives such as Castrol a good idea or bad idea? My 3.2 has over 130k on it and it seems that this quick fix could fill some gaps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by rjb; 05-27-2005 at 07:58 PM..
Old 05-27-2005, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slumlord

I am dead set against any additives, but you post more info on the product you are considering, and what you hope to achieve by giving Castrol more of your money. ie where does your engine leak?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

If you do the reserch,they all agree they probly do more harm then good. period.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Guys - yr thoughts on this...??

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=25&catid=2&loc=show
RGruppe#152
Early 911S Reg.#335
Old 05-30-2005, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slumlord

Claims
"Controls noise, heat and wear in manual transmissions and differentials"

"Key Benefits
Increase oil life at least 50% longer
Reduces oil consumption
Eliminates dry starts
Raises oil pressure
Increases power and miles per gallon"

Increases oil life? In a gearbox?
Reduces oil consumption? In a gear box?
Dry Starts?
Oil Pressure?
MPG?

This is a gearbox additive that boasts engine additive benefits. What a load of crapolla. Why not just use synthetic gear oil in your gearbox?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

"If" you do the reserch..........you will see it is more snake oil,,in the test by itself it looks good,,but as soon as you add it to your oil it caused alot of foaming in the test...wwwbob the oil guy. or some lab,,anyway when they make a better oil they will can it and call it mobil 2 or something
Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Check and see what these guys REALLY use in their race cars. Probably Red Line. Only problem is its just to expensive to justify for a street car at $8 to $9 per quart. Red line really does work, but you get what you pay for.

For an old, tired engine, try RESLONE, been around forever and it does do something.

Last edited by snowman; 06-01-2005 at 08:26 PM..
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Re: Guys - yr thoughts on this...??

OK, I'll be the odd man out here....

I use Lucas synthetic additive in my powerstroke manual tranny. It provides the same properties as SWEPCO does in the 930 tranny- anti-sling. Also, it adds friction modifiers that make for smooth shifts.

I also used it in the 930 motor before I rebuilt it. It used a quart every 300 - 400 miles, but no obvious signs. The oil consumption decreased to 1 quart every 800 or so miles. When I split the case, I was impressed how all the internals were coated with a thin layer of oil even after a month of sitting.

I like it...
Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

For a tranny I would suggest Red Line MTL. And I have absolutely NO connection whatsoever with Red Line. This stuff is for real. And if anyone really wants to investigate, go to any race, any real race, go to the pits and ask what oil they REally use, not whats printed on the side of their car. You will find that what really works is Red Line, and everyone knows this, so thats what they use in their race car. Some have even gone to the extent of hiding their oil changes, because they advertize some other oil, but If you race you will soon find the real truth, its Red Line. But again at twice the price of Mobil I its very hard to justify in any street car.

Lucus and Swepco are old tech in comparason, extreemly good lubes, but still an order of magnitude or more below Red Line.

I have read all the Red Line Propaganda, but I have also seen the results in my race car, its for real. Honest I am not trying to sell the stuff, I am just trying to give an honest heads up to anyone who is trying to keep their car togather, for a reasonable cost. This is your best bang for the buck, period.

To add to what I have said, if you have put a lot of bucks into your Porsche, the question is no longer what is good enough, but whats the best.

Last edited by snowman; 06-02-2005 at 11:42 PM..
Old 06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

According to the tech report Lucas will cause foaming once aded to your reg oil......on thir advertizing machine it looks good but in the real world probly not.....Now I know nothing (and can proove it) but thats what I read
Old 06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: