Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.5 motor

I would like to build a 2.5 liter short stroke motor starting with a 7r case, 66mm crank , 2.4 heads.
For the P & C's would it be viable to use 90mm nickasils and resleeve them with steel liners to 89mm , pistons will be custom 10.1 to 1 89mm pistons,
Any ideas for cam types for this motor, would a solex cam be good enough, thanks,
Old 06-18-2005, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Why not keep the 90mm cylinders and custom make the 90mm pistons?
Early S cams and MFI would be fun.

Mark
Old 06-19-2005, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The cylinders i am looking to use are in need of renickeling, i thought then that it may be a good idea to resleeve them in steel and in 89mm. I read that this was done in some race rsr's cuz they retain the shape better at high rpms. There are no nickeling facilities where i am and the steel resleeving was done well in my 2.2t engine. What i am not sure of is if there will be problems having two types of material force fited, that is the nickasil cylinders with steel liners, thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stressed Member

Garage
Your 2.2T cylinders were cast iron, and the 90mm cylinders are aluminum. I have not heard of anyone resleeving them. The only reason someone might do that is to meet race regulations requiring displacement to remain under 2.5 liters. I would think that many problems would result from the introduction of steel liners. Heat disipation will be poorer, and some thought would need to be given to the matter of the relative expansion of piston and cylinder as temperatures fluctuate. Shipping the cylinders to EBS seems like an awfully attractive alternative. But then again, that's what I did!

As for cams, I'm using E cams. I think that Solex would be great as well. If you are concerned with track performance the S cam might be a better choice. I am not rulling out the possibility of using S cams in the future.

-Scott

Last edited by Scott Clarke; 06-24-2005 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-24-2005, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have been planning to build the same motor for some time now. The 89mm P/C are to get in under 2500cc to meet regulations. The only cost effective way to do this is JE pistons in steel sleeved cylinders but I am unable to get any opinions as to whether this setup would be inferior to JE pistons in Nickasil cylinders, and am therefore a bit hesitant to go this route at the moment.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stressed Member

Garage
Yes, it would be inferior. The iron cylinders will not disapate heat as well, and create more friction than Nikasil cylinders. You should contact Pelicanite Plavan, as he has such a race motor with, I believe, 89mm Nikasil cylinders.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yea - unfortunately I think the only alternaive is Mahle 89mm P/C's
which would be rather pricey if one could find them.

Robert
Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: