Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rocker arms and WebCams

Should I use new or are refurbished okay?

I've got some cams from WebCam I'm going to install (hopefully soon/one of these days) and I'd like to get some consensus about the rocker arms.

A friend who did this recently says his freshly refurbished arms developed pitting at the rubbing end; he says WebCam suggests using new. I don't know what type of lube he used for initial breakin, if any, nor do I know the depth at which the rubbing ends were reground when his were rebuilt.

What is your experience with regrinds from WebCam? Are they being overly cautious or are their lobes that much harder than the typical reground rocker arm?

Thanks,
Sherwood
Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Their "regrinds" will not be any harder than anyone elses regrinds and lots of folks have had good luck with reground rockers. I get mine rebushed and reground by John (camgrinder) and have not had any problems.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Were your freinds cams welded?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Welded or billet? That's a good question. Let me see if I can find out.

How different is the Brinnel hardness between the two? Is that the difference?

Sherwood
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Usually about 2 or 3 RC between the two. I do not weld 911 cams for street cars. The only time I would weld a 911 is if an original 906 or RSR type cam had a failure and needed repair.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Okay, so not a regrind of an original core?

Jeff
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My Webcams are a 149S grind, and according to the numbers, were originally T cams.

My friend has the 120/104-spec cams on E cams; now with brand new rockers because the refurbished rockers pitted after a few hundred miles.

So both use factory cams with welded lobes. Furthermore, in my case, a couple of lobes were rewelded due to some pitting (I purchased these used). The cams were also reindexed to insure proper timing relative to the rewelded lobes.

WebCam's instructions suggest using new or reground followers (rockers in our case) in their short installation guide. That's fairly clear. However, on their warranty sheet, it says, "Use new followers, shims and rockers with new camshafts."

So, do I consider freshly rewelded and reground cams "new" or does "new" refer only to their machined billet cams?

I should call them and get some clarification.

Sherwood
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
I've read of similar problems. Being that I have new Webcams and refurbished rockers I'm curious to hear what you find out.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 08-25-2005, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Any camshaft that has been ground or reground should be considered new. And should have new or resurfaced rocker arms
installed.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"And should have new or resurfaced rocker arms installed."

Mellisa at WebCam also agrees with John.

When asked, "could refurbished rockers result in pitting of the rubbing end?", she said it's possible and there are too many variables to guess why; e.g. insufficient oil flow, use of synthetic oil, no break-in lube used and .... get this, non-oem rocker arms. She suggests less of chance for issues if using new rockers.

Could also be a case of refurbished rockers that were ground too much (reduced hardened surface).

I haven't seen non-oem rockers before. She couldn't tell me how to identify (person wasn't available). Anybody know about this?

Sherwood
Old 08-25-2005, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Its my belief Porsche used a few different vendors for rocker arms. Some people prefer one over the other.
Rocker cores are worth less than $5 each, If the rubbing surface is gouged I toss it away and grab another.
There was some rockers about 6 or 7 years ago, from I dont know where, that had a really short rubbing pad. The cam lobe would go off the inside edge and cause a failure. I havent seen any of these in quite a while. Im guessing these are the "NON-OEM" rockers she is reffering to.
I have zero trouble using non welded factory cam cores or chill cast billets with either resufaced or new rocker arms. Any other method opens the door to the "chance for issues" IMHO.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

When you have rockers reground you still want to keep them with their shaft, Correct??
how much will a refurb cost on a set? Because I need my rockers refurbed (although they look good)
83 SC
Old 08-29-2005, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

With a new bushing the rocker shaft should be measured for size and if worn replaced. Usually the bushing wears more than the shaft.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Can you have them resurfaced only without changing the bushing? mine only have 80,000
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Depends on how much wear the bushings have. They would need to be measured first.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: