Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

This sounds all wrong to me.

What exactly was the cause of the original problem do you think?

worn guides would make some smoke on start up, but not a smokescreen as you describe..

And worn guides at 17K miles?..No way..

Unless you can expalin the original problem, I suspect its not been fixed at all..

And the most likely original problem is overfilling..the second stuck rings..

If you brought it to me I'd do compression and leakdown , and repeat them after 1000miles..

Kind regards
David
Kind regards
David
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

As I stated in my first posts the car had been sitting around for at least 5 years and had been driven in and out of a shop at low rpm and cold during that time. The car was never allowed to get hot. When the heads were checked the valve guildes were wasted.

As far as sticking rings I replaced them.

As I thank you for your input please read all the post as many of your questions will be answered.

To everyone that has given me info thanks so much i will be sucking out some oil either today or tomorrow and will update you all.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Re: thanks to all

Quote:
Originally posted by 89red911
......im converting the head lights to square. Im not sure why but I think it will look cool when im done.
Don't do it !!!!!!! Seriously. Here's why...and I have no vested interest in this....just trying to save you making a decision you WILL regret....

a.) You will absolutely kill any resale value if you ever decide to sell it.

b.) Every other Porsche owner will be snickering behind your back (honest)...and probably in groups of 2 or 3 at a time at any gathering of porsches in public.

c.) Car will now have a definite "pimp-daddy" look to it which I'm afraid will result in an increase in attempted break in's due to the appearance that Drugs and/or cash will be inside.

You'll scorn me now, but down the road you WILL realize I was right...pimp-daddy and ricer 911's are not very high on the list....trust me.

Hope you come to your senses...
RGruppe#152
Early 911S Reg.#335
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

square head lights

well the only reason i plan on finishing the job is that the preivous owner started it one and half sides are already done so my plan was to just finish it up and save time and money. i plann to do this just untill i get all the parts for the proper headlights. nothing is left of the orig parts. and i want to drive it asap so thats the reason for square headlights. i know its a sin but its cost effective for now
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
If you like it that's all that matters, afterall it's your car and you'll be the one driving it, so I say go for it.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Question oil airated

ok so i took everyones advice and sucked some more oil out of the tank right not my oil level is at the bottom marks on the stick when hot at idel on level ground my smoking is reduced but it still is smoking im thinking it is just burning off what every is in the exhaust.

I noticed my oil is airated is this normal?

When i first got the car i found water in the oil. I drain everything and put new oil in and a new filter.

How many quarts should the system hold if i drained everything?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Just an update for everyone. Ona whim i decided to drop the mufflet and have a look.

What I found was sort of shocking. When I tiped the muffler on end oil came pouring out. I figure I got about 1/2 quart.

I cleaned the muffler out as best I can and plan to put it back up on monday and see how it runs.

Im also switching oil brands. I was using gastrol GTX 20/50 and was told it is crap. Kendall was recomended so thought I would give it a shot. If all else fails i will switch to swepco.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Just to make you aware. That muffler is still going to smoke when it gets up to temperature for a while. It may take a week or so before all the oil burns out of it.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

im sure it will for some time but Im hoping that i may be able to clean it out my plan is to bore scope it in the morning and it it is what i think it is inside i will cut it open and clean it then just weld it back up or buy a new one.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Cool

so the smoking stoped

well heres what i have found. first after check my oil level and finding it to be spot on i decide to remove the muffler and check things out i ran the car and to my surprise no smoke thank god anyway i cleaned the muffler as best i can and reinstalled it i then ran the car and what do i get smoke again. so i went for a nice 2 hour drive wheni got back it was still smoking so now im done with it i am planning to buy a new muffler from our host here.

thanks to all for the great info
Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: