Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Addicted to Racing

Garage
What are fire rings

I have heard the term fire rings.

Are these referning to the stock rings that started around the 2.4L motor, or are they after market pressure rings that need a different groove cut for them.

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-19-2005, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I believe they are the Niresist rings that Bruce A refers to in his book. Including some pictures of them in my engine. A groove gets machined in the cyl and in the head. Basically a head gasket. Lou

'03 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE, 30ft, 8.1l, 340HP, 455Ft#
http://www.nicotra4.hpshare.net/BasketCaseMotorsports/
Old 09-19-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Here's the grove cut in my cylinder for the flame ring. I thought I had a better picture with the ring
Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

If you decide to get new cylinders, you most likely do not need to fire ring your cylinders (saw your other post in this forum). With the JB Racing sleeved cylinders, the mating surface is such that fire ring is not worth the added expense. I had mine fire ringed because the head was already done.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Addicted to Racing

Garage
This was actually not the first time I had heard this. That they are not needed with good mating surfaces. unless you are going to use monster boost.

I have heard that you may want the head to come off the cylinder and bleed off the boost rather than overboost and blow up.

Now, are you using any of the stock crush rings with your setup. I was advised against it because of the opportunity for, if the head comes off the cylinder slightly, to get them caught in between.

Thanks

Ed
See my list of current cars in my garage.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I don't agree with the statement of bleeding off boost. In any event, the mating surface between the JB racing cylinders and the stock heads is sufficient to handle any reasonable amount of boost. This is considering that you are using quality head studs such as ARP or Raceware.

I use the fire ring set up. I had custom rings made of a stainless alloy that would crush slightly once the heads were torqued, and would allow for the cylinder and head to mate properly as well. I had mine made for 2 reasons - I wanted a gasket and I wanted a method to keep the head attached to the cylinder under heavy boost. The 993 studs used prior to the rebuild allowed lifting.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Addicted to Racing

Garage
OK,

I am finding that not all builders work with fire rings. Does anyone have experience with those that do.

Thanks

Ed
See my list of current cars in my garage.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: