Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Blown out a head gasket!!!

Looks like the vacuum leak I had has now gotten much worse. The car now barely idles at 300-400 and eventually dies.

I suspect I've blown out a cylinder-head gasket (I'm using C2 Turbo head gaskets in my setup).

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it'd cost to have new head gaskets fitted? Is this an expensive job?

This has come at a REAL bad time, as I'm taking the family overseas in December
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-06-2005, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You'd have to have a pretty big hole in the cylinder/head to get a vacuum leak there. Also a vacuum leak on one cylinder shouldn't cause the engine to die. Maybe you mean a gasket on the intake. I don't know what your intake system looks like so It's hard to say how hard it would be to change a gasket.

If you are talking about a cylinder-head gasket then you have to take the engine apart. You're talking a couple of thousand dollars to remove, dismantle, repair, reassemble, and install the engine. If you are going that far you might as well do at least a top end overhaul.

-Andy
Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Andy, I do suspect a intake gasket. It's highly unlikely that I've blown out a cylinder head gasket. Those things should handle up to 1.4bar of boost quite reliably, I'm told.

Anyway, this weekend I'll go through the process of ripping off the intercooler, AFM and entire Carrera manifold. The whistling sound from the intake suggests a vacuum leak in/around the intake, so that's where I'll start I guess

Vacuum hoses all look OK and secure, so the only thing it can be is inlet manifold gasket(s).
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: