Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
not porsche related but a mate needs help and the pics are good!

my mate has run into a bit of trouble with his subaru. this is what he found when the engine was pulled apart.
is it a classic case of detonation?
the engine was standard and as far as i know he didn't run it to redline or abuse it beyond its capabilities

i know its off topic but this place is great and i know you lot wont mind giving some advice!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )

Last edited by adomakin; 11-13-2005 at 04:24 AM..
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
sorry, went a bit overboard with the pics!

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
The damage is so extensive that it is hard to tell exactly what happened.
That looks to me like Nitrous oxide over boost.
What do the other pistons look like?

The Subaru engine is capable of producing huge power and because of the huge numbers reported I would guess Subaru engine builders will see more of this type of damage.
Damage caused by builder who make horse power and ignore proper engine building principles.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 11-13-2005, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is this a WRX?
When you say the engine is standard does standard also include a waste gate controller mod?

There are some knowledgeable people on this forum;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/
You do have to be able to filter out the noise.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
henry, this is a standard car-20000 miles old-full subaru service history. just went bang on him. rick, its a wrx

Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Check boost control, ignition perimeters and fuel to that cylinder.

Detonation from poor fuel, ignition failure, bad injector or waste gate problem is the probable cause of this melt down.
Good luck
Old 11-13-2005, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If it's really only 20k miles old then he made a big mistake by taking it apart himself. The standard WRX warranty is 36k miles for everything and 60k miles for drivetrain. I seriously doubt the engine wasn't modded or at the very least had an aftermarket boost controler cranked all the way up..
Old 11-13-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for your advice henry. cory, the car was bought new from a subaru dealer 2 yrs ago but was an import so didn't come with the full warranty.....

Old 11-13-2005, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

mm...that's classic knock damage with eroded piston ring lands and blowby.

That piston was starved for fuel. Either by using too much boost or by faulty injector/fuel pump. I suspect former.

I don't know about Subaru but most engines have fuel cut-off switch that has to be removed in order to boost enough to do something like that to the engine.

He might have suffered ruptured wastegase signal line which overboosted the engine but then again, overboost cutoff whould kick in in that case. So it might be the case of clogged injector. He should have injector removed and flow-tested.

Pity he dissasembled it himself, it might be covered by warranty.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
cheers goran but its a dealer supplied import that only carried a 1 yr warranty. this car is nearly 2yrs old so the warranty is no good. he is gutted. thanks for everyones help, ill pass on the info

Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
John @ Costa Mesa R&D is a master with these engines.
Email him with your pictures and I'm certain he can help.
fiat_nut@hotmail.com
Old 11-14-2005, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

At least he can replace it with the STI engine now!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Henry, ill pass that on.

Cory, maybe he can replace the whole car and come over to the dark side!

Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Tell him to drop the keys and step away from the boost control knob

Too much boost or too little fuel at boost.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
like i said before sammy, this is a bog standard wrx, no adjustable boost box,no big turbos-just a regular wrx-hes just a regular car nut and its his family car. it just went pop.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

That must have sounded AWESOME...
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

OK, unless it experienced a mechanical malfunction that caused an overboost condition (stuck waste gate, leaking or loose signal hose, etc) that points to fuel like Henry said. Either not enough, too low of octane, bad injector, something like that.
If the ignition went wacko it could have caused it too but that isn't supposed to happen.
The erosion around the edges of the crown is metal that is eaten away from detonation. The instantaneous and incredibly powerful pressure waves from detonation actually remove small bits of the piston until it can get to the top ring, then it goes boom just like the picture. That piston was getting beat up for a while before it finally let go, it wasn't a quick death. The driver might not have heard the noise or realized it, but it was dying for some time.

I did it once to the blown gas hemi engine in my boat by playing with the supercharger pulleys. Only difference was, i was running forged pistons and one broke up into smaller pieces. On of the pieces was just about the right size to get wedged between the con rod and the crank, which caused the rod to install a new inspection window in the block. DOH! that was $10k I didn't need to spend.

Last edited by sammyg2; 11-14-2005 at 02:09 PM..
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
Tell him to drop the keys and step away from the boost control knob
I was going to say just the same, sammy.

Since this was a Japan (I assume) import:

Tell the PO in Japan to drop the keys and step away from the boost control knob!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
andy, the previous owner was subaru! it was BRAND NEW when he imported it. in the uk you can save thousands by importing your new car from europe or japan. we pay top dollar for everything over here. generally you can expect to save anywhere from 10 to 30% on new car prices by importing from abroad, the problem is that up unitl recently manufacturers wouldn't honour the full warranty, as in this case.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

oh, wow! I can't imagine what the deal was, then. Did you talk to Henry's contact?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: