Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
chemicals to clean with?

I would like to clean the debri and carbon from the combustion side of the heads and the piston and cylinders walls.

Is it safe to use brake cleaner? How about something stronger like engine brite?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Berrymans chemtool works well. SOak them in it for 24 hours then use a brass brush on the tops.... Or have the tops walnut shell blasted... TOPS ONLY!
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 11-13-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I soak the pistons overnight in a little in water (upside down in a pan) or the parts washer. Then I dry them off, wrap some masking tape around the ring groove and then hit the tops with the wire wheel. I don't go nuts trying to get them super clean.

When I'm done with the wheel I take off the tape clean out the ring grooves with a piece of broken ring. When I'm done I wash them in dish soap and water, then rinse them in hot water and blow dry them a little with compressed air (all the little holes). I spray the now unprotect aluminum with some WD-40, measure them and set them aside until I'm ready to use them.
-Chris
Old 11-13-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: