Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1970 911T oil pump

Well, I just split the case on my engine (2.2), and I was taking a look at my oil pump. Should there be any noticeable play between the top and bottom gears of the pump? The reason I ask is if you turn the input shaft by hand, the top gears can rock back and forth some before the bottom ones start to turn. Is this normal? I've rebuilt my share of engines, but never a 911, so I don't have anything to directly compare it to.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure, i'll check the one that came out of my 2.2 last summer. I replaced with a Carrera unit with better scavengering and main pump. Also did the oil bypass mod. I'd recommend you go this way.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

To check the clearances in most oil pumps, you just take the end cover off. But, the 911 pump has bearings on both sides of the gears, so what is the correct method of gauging backlash with a feeler blade?
GruppeB #906
1970 911T
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: