Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I don't have any pictures handy, but yes I am using the BAE parts with stock SC heat exchangers.
Here's a link to the definitive BAE turbo thread started a long time ago.
911SC Turbo
On page 7 it details the problem I had with draining into the valve cover, and also a picture of the drain line into the chain cover on someone else's car. Mine is very similar except I used reinforced Viton hose with high pressure fuel injection clamps (overkill but pretty).
Note that these are aftermarket kits and are not identical to the factory 930 systems.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
cheers sammy, im liking the idea of gravity drain into the chain cover...

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
im wondering if theres any data on required oil flow rates (litres per min/hour?) for different turbos? may then a little test with various restrictors in the feed line to obtain the desired flow rate?

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Andy,

It would be interesting to know actual oil flow rates (output into the accumulator) for different turbos. I've never seen those numbers. Then they could be compared with scavenge pump flow rates, and decisions could made about how much of a pump is necessary. But the both input and scavenge flow rates vary by engine speed and maybe other factors, so it may not be all that straightforward to measure.

I suspect most turbo builders (like Kevin) would frown on any attempt to restict oil flow into the turbo for purposes of obtaining a desired output flow rate. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Regarding gravity scavenging, if you or anyone else would like a modified sump plate for a 930, complete with a -10 AN male fitting, including the -10 braided line from the turbo, please let me know. This sump was extended downward about an inch to accommodate the fitting. This setup came on my stock 930, which didn't have a scavenge pump. It didn't work at all in my case. I had a mosquito fogger after startup. But I'm not sure how much of that problem was due to this oil plumbing; there may have been other issues with the turbo.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
But the both input and scavenge flow rates vary by engine speed and maybe other factors, so it may not be all that straightforward to measure.
good point rob, didn't think of that. what did you replace the sump plate setup with on your engine?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I went back to a traditional factory scavenge pump. But with my Garrett turbo, I plumbed a vent/overflow from the drip accumulator to the right side chain housing cover. One of those links I posted on the previous page has pictures of my setup, I think. If you're using a Garrett-type turbo, you need more flow than the factory scavenge pump can handle. You can either do what I did, or spring for the higher flow aftermarket scavenge pump. That's all discussed in those threads that I gave you links to.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
cheers rob. are you up and running yet?

Old 11-18-2005, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Alas, not yet, but it's getting closer and closer. I should have a car by next spring. I've been accused of not really wanting to finish the project! That's not true, but I think I enjoy the process as much as I will the final product, and with so many irons in the fire of life, I haven't felt compelled to push anything aside to finish it.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
know how that feels! I remember this time last year-I had a week of no wife and dog (they went to her mums in france and it was bliss!) and I honestly thought id get the long engine together. A year later and Ive only just closed the case. oh well......they go away again on sunday for another week-maybe the pistons/barrels/heads?!

Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: