Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cleaning piston tops

Ok so I pulled the pistons off, and the rods out. I recieved the engine in pieces and boxes it had been appart for a valve job. but i decided to replace the rod bolts and cylinder studs with race ware. glad i did the back two cylinders #3and#6 had damaged bearings i noticed that the stampings on the rods were different than the other 4 and also those 2 pistons were a lot harder to remove. so I will be very care full about checking weights etc. Any ways how do I clean the heavy coating of carbon off of the piston tops without damaging them.it is pretty thick I was thinking about using an air grinder with a fine wire wheel But I dont want to cause any damage so I thought i would ask first. One more question did the 88 930 3.3 turbo engines have alusil or nikasil cylinders? Thanks the book has been a big help!!!

Last edited by Ken911; 12-02-2005 at 05:54 PM..
Old 12-02-2005, 05:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A soft wire wheel is okay, just make sure you only let it touch the tops...

Cheers
Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

All Turbos came with Nikasils, according to the manual.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Glass beading is fine as well.

AFJ

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-02-2005, 07:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Soak overnight in a bucket of carb cleaner.

If you bead blast or wire wheel, stay away from the ring lands.

Sherwood
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'll second the carb cleaner. You can buy a gallon can of Berrymans carb cleaner. It's not the same stuff as in the aerosal cans, it's stronger. Soak overnight and in the morning the carbon just washes off.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Third on the carb cleaner. I'm refurbishing my 3.2 liter and have had great results with berrymans carb cleaner.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok I'll try the carb cleaner thanks!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I use carb cleaner as well
Old 12-04-2005, 08:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

Hot tank for many hours is best. Watch out for glass beads, the number ONE cause of rebuilt engine failure. Never glass bead the ring lands, tape them off first. Clean and clean and clean again if you glass bead it. Otherwise use green 3 M pads, manuel or on a die grinder.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Careful what the hot tank guy uses inside his hot tanks. Depending on who you entrust, some solutions not meant for the task may reduce the displacement provided by the pistons.

I think a room-temperature cleaner, within the confines of your property and under your control are best for expensive pistons.

Sherwood
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

Any legal room temp soln will not clean off the carbon. Most water based solvents for hot tanks are safe on Al if they are properly maintained, if not, oh well. Like anything else not properly done the results can be a disaster.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I have to throw out my shiny testimonialto the magical powers of a product called Safety-Kleen. a local motorcycle shop here uses the stuff and I found myself bringing my parts to them all the time. Long story short, they got sick of me hogging their pale of solvent so I bought my own 5 gallon pale of it. Tie some wire to the peice and drop it in there, forget about it till tomorrow and the part comes out looking literally brand new. Its worth the $95 for the jug. the one draw back with the stuff is that it is TOXIC!! avoid breathing the fumes at all costs.
No disapointments though.
my 2 cents.
Nabil
Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i have been trying the carb cleaner seems to work ok but havent yet ried any of the lager parts where can you get this safety kleen stuff?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Ken

This is what one of my pistons looks like after 60 seconds in a bead blaster. I had soaked it in parts cleaner for an hour and scrubbed with a wire brush for 20 minutes getting almost nowhere. The rest of them will be done in the bead blaster.

The before was like this

88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
88 Olds Cutlass Supreme International 5 speed
93 Harley Custom Soft tail
Old 12-14-2005, 08:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've not done this on a Porsche but on motorcycles I bead blast with very good luck. Like the image above shows, be sure and tape off the ring area. I typically leave skirts unmasked and blast them too. For taping, I prefer duct tape, not only because I am a red neck with plenty o' duck around, but the rubbery surface and good adhesive stays put and deflects the beads quite nicely. Don't ever bead blast parts with oil holes unless you triple check you tape job. Sand in your oil passages is as bad as it sounds.

Have any of you blasted material with walnut shells? Northern Tool sells ground shells and they are supposed to be good for use on internal engine parts as they dissolve in oil/gas and are not as harmful to your engine innards. Anyone have a review?

1991 964 Targa
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

well I dont have access to a bead blaster think the carb cleaner and a toothbrush will do
Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

This won't work for initial cleaning, but for final cleaning, just before you put the thing back togather, use Tide. Just plain Tide and piping hot water. Hot is very important as without it the cleaner isn't activated. Tide is the only detergent favored by the good ole boy network for NASCAR. Please, don't use bleach, leave that to your wife.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

actually for all the aluminum parts i was going to clean them up with brake cleen the when the wife wasnt around toss them in the dishwasher, the pistons are getting the carb cleaner and toothbrush trick which is working pretty well but slow.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned from Pelican

CAREFUL!! Some wifes can read. Dangerous, very dangerous into to give out. Never admit to using the dishwasher.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: