Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Man of Leisure

Garage
70 2.2E Motor Advice Wanted

I'm planning on dropping my stock 2.2E motor with 140k miles this spring. I am thinking of doing the 2.2 to 2.4 upgrade. Besides the crank and rods, what else do I need?

Anything else I should be looking for "while I'm in there?"

This will be a weekend driver running standard pump gas. I'm keeping the MFI and case since I believe the numbers match the car.

at 140k, do you think I need new pistons, cylinders, etc? The motor is still in the car and of unknown shape. I'm trying to get my shopping list started.

thanks!

Former:
67 912 Coupe (Light Ivory) - Maestro motor, slow but fun
69 912 Coupe (Irish Green) - Survivor, one owner
70 911E Targa (Light Ivory) - Project
70 914 (Silver) - Bursch exhaust, track suspension
82 911SC Coupe (Rosewood) - Restored
85 Carrera Coupe (Meteor Grey) - 7&8s, Spoilers, Euro suspension, H4s, factory ltd slip, short shift
90 Carrera 2 Coupe (Grand Prix White) - Factory ltd slip, Cup IIs, showroom condition

"Game knows game" - Ice-T
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
With some luck, all you need is new rings, gaskets, chains, valve guides, seals, and the parts to go from 2.2 to 2.4

harold

1973 Porsche 911T RS
1978 Porsche 911SC
Old 01-09-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi

At 140k I'd be surprised if you can reuse the p&c, I'd not bother with the 2.4 upgrade but if you replace the P&C you will prob go to S (higher comp) as E are NLA

HTH Neven
Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
At 140k I'd expect to replace just about everything. Somebody had/has a set of 2.2E P/C's in the classified section. Definitely go with the 2.4 crank and rods, you will NOT regret it. Do a search, many listers here have a hi-comp 2.4E engine including myself.

Have fun!
BK
Old 01-11-2006, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You could always bore out your existing cylinders for new JE's as an inexpensive alternative. If you have any concerns about the cylinders, you could have them cryogenically treated or if there is any damage to the sealing surface, you can have them ground back to equal height groups with a new sealing deck surface.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Man of Leisure

Garage
I located myself a set of good, in spec 2.2E biral pistons and cylinders. In your collective opinions, are these better off being sold and using the money towards JE pistons, factory S P/Cs, or something else?

I'm thinking they may be worth more to someone doing a concours correct job as opposed to me doing a driver rebuild. Any idea what these are worth dollar wise?

I did a quick search and it looks like the JEs run about $900/set. Does this sound right?

A high compression 2.4 seems to be the cats meow. I am assuming that if I stick to E cams, E pistons, and just go with a 2.4 crank and rods, the MFI should be ok?

I heard that the mag stacks in my MFI can be bored. Is this worth doing?

Former:
67 912 Coupe (Light Ivory) - Maestro motor, slow but fun
69 912 Coupe (Irish Green) - Survivor, one owner
70 911E Targa (Light Ivory) - Project
70 914 (Silver) - Bursch exhaust, track suspension
82 911SC Coupe (Rosewood) - Restored
85 Carrera Coupe (Meteor Grey) - 7&8s, Spoilers, Euro suspension, H4s, factory ltd slip, short shift
90 Carrera 2 Coupe (Grand Prix White) - Factory ltd slip, Cup IIs, showroom condition

"Game knows game" - Ice-T

Last edited by Rockafella; 01-17-2006 at 11:49 PM..
Old 01-17-2006, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: