Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
You talkin' to me?

Feel the PAIN baby

Well, I was all amped up about getting the case sealed up yesterday. Then I realized I didn't put the O-ring around the #8 bearing this morning. STUPID! Looks like I have a fun day (days?) of stripping off threebond ahead of me.

By the way, the pulley seal keeps working itself off - anybody else have this problem? I put it on after mating the case. I was also planning on putting the flywheel seal on after case mating. Should I put either or both of these on prior to mating the case?

I will do my best not to commit suicide by smashing my head into the case repeatedly.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I pressed my pulley seal in the bearing prior to installing it, the flywheel seal I will put in after the case is togeather, It looks like it could get pinched and out of round if you try to install it as the case halfs go togeather? Its really fun when you have 2 gasket sets which are not complete, now did I put ALL those oil pump seals in or not? I have 2 left over and should only have 1? Thats why Im taking pics as I assemble it, so when I wake up at 2am
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks to me like liberal use of Curil-T on that seal. Clean it off with some carb cleaner and install it dry. I've learned this lesson 2 or 3 times now and finally do it this way.

If you feel you MUST use Curil-T... Put a VERY light coating, hair thin on the seal, let it set out over night to get more tacky and them press it in.

...and hey, at least you realized NOW that you left off that o-ring instead of when you started that motor!
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-12-2006, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
You talkin' to me?

Yep - too much curil T - less worked fine.

It gets even better. The second time around, I left the green rubber ring out that goes between the case halves near the oil pump. If I were strong enough I would have flung the engine into the street.

It was about 1.5 hours from sealant application time, but I split the case just enough to get that ring in and shut it back. Now I know the loctite 571 I have on the inner webbings might not like that but the threebond 1104 on the case perimeter still looked tacky. I "think" I should be OK unless one of those bearings didn't seat properly when re-lowering the case.

I'm taking a week or two off and thinking about whether I want to tear this thing apart yet again or say f it and move on.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by chancecasey
Yep - I were strong enough I would have flung the engine into the street.
I know it can be frustrating!!!! Soon I'll have all my parts back and I'll be right there with ya! I've built this engine about 3,000 times in my head. I've read all the books, read through countless posts on this board and on Rennlist, asked a ton of questions, and still I know I'll be nervous once I get in there! I plan to take my time and do it in stages. Hang in there! Just whatever you do, don't cut corners now...walk away if you need to.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
You talkin' to me?

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

One thing that solves this problem - and is very fundamental therefore seemingly unnecessary - is to clear off the table and have every single last part (nuts, washers, o-rings, bolts, etc.) laid out in an orderly fashion, all beside each other, before you begin. Have nothing else on the table except the parts and tools and it's easy to tell that you've gotten everything. The first time it wouldn't have helped me because I never realized that nose bearing o-ring was needed (reviewing the entire section of Wayne's book before starting would have eliminated it), the second time when I forgot the green case o-ring, it was on an adjacent table, sitting away from all the other parts ( that little f*cker!! )
Old 02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
You'll get it man!

I'd do it one more time otherwise you're goin gto worry about it through the whole rest of the build... It's a PITA now by just think how much better you'll feel later (unless of course you pulled it a second time for nothing, haha).

Plenty of time! (...and hey, I'll be out Cupertino way in the next 4-6 weeks, if you can wait, I'll give you a hand. )
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
You talkin' to me?

Thanks! Yeah, I have no choice - one of the main bearings could have slipped out of place, and a couple of the through-bolt O-rings got cut pretty bad - and another few hours of work is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm doing this right or I'm not doing it at all. Going full-throttle with the MEK and wire brush this time - maybe it will be quicker than carb cleaner and paper towels.

Shoot me a PM when you're headed this way - I'll be done with the case by then but no way done with everything. If nothing else we can crack a beer and admire the fine work done so far - my favorite part.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: