Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Solid Tensioner Sprocket Damage - Metal Everywhere?

Hi All!

Just started opening up a 69 911E motor I purchased recently from a fellow member.

I pulled off the chain covers and found a solid tensioner in the right housing. The chain appears to be stretched to the point of needing replacement, but the real question here is the damage to the cam sprocket probably due to never adjusting the solid tensioner. ALL the teeth are either worn or chipped at the top about 1/8th-inch down. They still have points with about half of the point left going down about 1/8th inch. It looks more like the teeth were chipped as the points are somewhat sharp.

Here's the question... How much metal should I expect inside the case? Are my cams, crank, bearings, etc., going to be scored and be trash? Will it mean all new parts or can a machine shop work with items that have had metalized oil run by, and through, them?

I've never opened a motor before and seeing this sprocket scares me already -- my wallet began bleeding immediately. Been reading Wayne's book and with this forum, I'm planning on opening it up to check the insides and attempt to fix whatever's needed and get it back to specs.

Thanks,
1965 911 Engine #903547/Solexes
Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

HI good luck , just check the chain alinment befor you strip it??

regards mike
Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: