Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Dow Corning 111 on engine o-rings

I was able to source and purchase a tube of Dow Corning 111 that I plan to "lube" my green Viton through-bolt o-rings with. Can this Dow Corning product be used with all of the other o-rings in the engine: oil pump, oil return tubes, cam shaft backing plate, oil cooler, etc.? I know that motor oil is often used on o-rings, would the Dow be better? Any known ill effects from using it on other o-rings?

Thanks,
Jeff
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

By the way, I've heard that the Dow Corning 111 can be hard to find in a size that's not "industrial" (huge can). Here's where I obtained mine:
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=Dow_111_5oz_Silicone_Sealant
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Here is what it says about it, I would guess so.. No. 111 Valve Lubricant/Sealant— Choose this heavy-consistency paste to lubricate valves, packing, and O-rings as well as seal vacuum and pressure systems. Temperature range is -40° to +400° F.
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
You can get a 5.7 tube from McMaster for 10 bucks
Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks, Craig!!!!!!!!!!! I was planning on using it on many of my o-rings, but thought I better at least ask the question before doing so.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jeff,

I used Dow Corning 111 on all of the seals that you mention. I'd suggest that you use it where the seal needs to slip into place. I'd suggest oil or assembly lube on the part of seal where there is a lot of movement (e.g. put a little oil where the crankshaft will rotate, put the 111 where the oil pump seals need to slip into place once, etc).

Mike
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I recommend not using it on the number 8 main bearing o-ring or at least not using it near where the case seam will be. If some of the silicon grease gets into the seam it will keep the case sealant from sealing that area an cause a minor oil leak (as me how I know!).

-Andy
Old 02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I used it on most of the O-ring except for the case through-bolts. I just dump those in a cut off paper cup of oil and take them out as I go along.
Get the green viton through-bolt O-rings. Wrightwood makes them but they only sell wholesale. Maybe Neil can get them for you?
-Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks Chris, I got them from Henry of Supertec.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
And the thru bolt nuts go on the case side without the chamfer in the holes, I have seen books show it the wrong way before
Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: