Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How long will she smoke?

I rebuilt my 81 911 SC about a year ago. It took me a few months to get the kinks out. Now she starts and runs fine. I drive the car maybe once or twice a week. She stays in the garage the rest of the time. I now have about 1700 miles on the rebuild.

The rebuild included new pistons (JE 9:8:1) barrels and rings. Other wise just a stock rebuild (ARP head studs and rod bolts, redone heads and values with new guides). However, I am running with the Oxy sensor off and a cat-by pass pipe.

When the car first starts up after sitting for 5 or so days, I still get blue smoke at the pipe. After she warms up everything runs fine and I don't get any smoke. If I drive it the next day, at start up there is no smoke.

Question is: Is this normal? Are my rings still breaking in? How long before she should not smoke at all on start up?

I thought maybe I had a broken ring, however if I did, wouldn't smoke all the time? Would the cat by-pass pipe cause the smoking at start up? I am tempted to just live with it, in that the car runs great and pulls hard and seems to have much more power than before the rebulild.

Any thoughs?
1973 914 1.7
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

it's not a 911 if it doesn't smoke a tad on cold starts.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks John - that is what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll run it for a few thousand more miles and see what happens.
1973 914 1.7
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi

Sometimes they smoke and other times they don't I think it is where the oil pump stops and therefore how much oil seeps back into the sump, but if it goes away don't worry about it

HTH

Neven
Old 02-24-2006, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: