Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Crankshaft Flywheel seal

I'm looking for information on the Crankshaft seal that is installed on the flywheel end of the crankshaft I'm a little confused about this big black o-ring I have that I would swear came out of the seal but after two days of trying, it isn't going back in. The new seal I received didn't come with that o-ring in it so now I'm wondering if it even belongs there. Does anyone have any info about this? Maybe this is what those expensive crankshaft seal installation tools are needed for ? Sure could use some help

Thanks,

Pete
Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You need the tool.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There is not an o-ring in the rear main or flywheel end crankshaft seal; there is a "garter" spring inside the seal that may look like an o-ring. The new seal will also have such a "garter" spring; don't pull it out. The purpose of the spring is to load the inside sealing lip of the seal against the rotating land of the crankshaft thereby ensuring a good dynamic sealing action. The factory tool is very helpful in installing the seal correctly but careful work with a piece of wood and a soft face hammer can also do the job. Ensure the bore for the seal in the engine case is clean and also the crankshaft end, apply Curil-T compound to the outside of the seal and engine oil to the inside lip and carefully and evenly tap the seal into place (seal concave side toward the engine). Don't get it cocked and don't overdrive it; simply install it flush to the face of the case. Good luck, Jim

Last edited by Jim Sims; 02-25-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 02-25-2006, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Not sure what seal you have, but make certain it's the Dark Brown Viton seal manufactured by Victor Reinz. This is the one that Pelican normally sells and is the OEM seal. I've heard other owners having trouble (leaks) with the Black seal manufactured by Federal Mogul. Just FYI.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

The tool is helpful for installing the seal, but you can also use the old seal as a guide for tapping the new one in.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-25-2006, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

In a word, I love to buy tools, and I didn't purchase the seal press.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys,

From what I've read it seems as though it's best to press the seal in after the case is assembled or can it be installed on the crank first and then set into place?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 02-25-2006, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Install it AFTER the case is sealed up.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

After
Old 02-25-2006, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Got it, I'll put it in after I have the case sealed. I appreciate everyone's input. Have an awsome fun filled Porsche day

Pete
Old 02-25-2006, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I put in mine as I was sealing the case...made it a piece of cake...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Why would you do it afterward when you could do it with the case apart so much easier? Is there a reason why all the books are wrong?

-Andy
Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

One less thing to deal with (and potentially damage) during case reassembly. Plus no chance of getting Curil-T into the seam Loctite. Not everything is in the "books".

Last edited by Jim Sims; 02-26-2006 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-26-2006, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: