Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Cooler Testing and Cleaning

Does anyone know of a place in the SF Bay Area where you can get the original oil cooler pressure tested and cleaned?
Thanks ....
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ok, maybe a different question.

I'm just finishing up rebuilding my 3.2 and was just planning on re-installing my oil cooler, until I read in Wayne's book in which he mentions installing the cooler after having it pressure tested and cleaned.

Have others who have rebuilt their engines just plopped the oil cooler back in without testing?

Btw, I'm talking about the cooler mounted to the back of the engine.

Thanks for any info...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ultrasonic cleaning is a good idea and a must if the cooler came from a motor that experienced a failure of some sort. There are a couple places on the west coast that specialize in this but I don't have the info handy. I found a local auto machine shop with the ultrasonic equipment...a radiator shop may be able to pressure test. You also might check your yellow pages for a place that does aircraft engine work.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Send it to: Pacific Oil Cooler Service (left coast) They are current FAA certified to clean, repair, rebuild coolers. There is a HUGE difference between the guy down the street with a flush machine vs. a FAA certified facility.

Basically you want to know w/o a doubt that it is clean and leak free before reinstalling it back onto your new /rebuilt $$$ engine
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks asphaltgambler and goose2. I checked out Pacific Oil Cooler Service and for $85 they'll clean, test and otherwise restore the cooler back to new. I'll be sending the part out in the next day or so....
Thanks again guys!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pacific coast Oil Cooler....that's the place I was trying to remember...Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So I didn't have a catastrophic failure before my rebuild. I capped the cooler when I removed it and cleaned it well on the outside with brake cleaner spray (especially the cooling fins). When that was done, I uncapped one end and filled it halfway with mineral spirits, recapped it and sloshed it around and poured it out into an oil drain pan. Since no metal particles came out, I repeated the process till the mineral spirits came out clear, air dried it and reinstalled it.

I'll let you know if the engine seizes up after I start it up.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: