Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rocker shaft leakage question

I noticed that the lower valve cover is covered with oil. First thought is that it must be leaking through the rocker shaft.

Upon opening the cover, I noticed that either side of all shafts are dry, so as those compartment (where the spark plugs are). So it sounds like its my cover or the gasket not working properly?

thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like you do not have a rocker shaft seal leak.

Which side is leaking and is it only the cover that is wet?

Cheers
Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its the passenger side lower cover. The chain cover is dry so as the oil line for the tensioner. The cover is quite wet but not to a point of seeing oil dripped onto the ground when parked.

I do have a leak around the oil pressure switch so it could have been "dripped down then blown by" from there. But it would take a LOT to cause the entire lower cover to be wet?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Have you checked the rear turbocharger sump pump lines and pump for leaks?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-22-2007, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Have you checked the rear turbocharger sump pump lines and pump for leaks?
Yes - its sweating a bit & i can see a bit of stain on the left side (pump is dry though).

Since the "major" leak is on the passenger side I didn't think it can be caused by the pump (which is on the left side).

My hope is that it came from my leaky oil pressure switch, or my valve cover seal. Have just changed both & engine is going back in this week so should find out in a week or so.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds like the same as where mine is leaking from.mine comes out and drips on the heat exchanger clamp then runs down the heat exchanger.I thought it was my chain cover but i can tell.We use oil dye and a black light to find leaks and it works great.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: