Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

That's a steel pressure plate. You can improve your cars performace with an aluminum one. I bought a used aluminum one from partsheaven. I've also seen them right here on Pelican.

-Andy

Old 12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Hey James... how did this all turn out for you ? Did you get a mega x-mass present = no internal engine damage?
I hope all is well here...
please update
thx Bob
Old 06-14-2008, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Shoffit
So right after I am thinking "oh, it COULD be just the clutch parts being offcenter causing the clunking rough running", I decided to do a leakdown.

This is where everyone can learn from my mistake, by the way, so pay attention.

I bought a Leakdown tester AND a compression tester at the same time. Both came with hoses suitable for screwing into a spark-plug hole. Both were about the same length. But one was slightly better due to fittings and stiffness of the rubber for inserting into a 911 engine. So I used that one.

NOTE : COMPRESSION TESTER HOSES HAVE A CHECK VALVE IN THE HOSE.

So I read my leak-down settings, and with the valve in the hose keeping pressure up, whadyaknow, I had nearly-perfect readings on all cylinders! I mean like 98%, 97%, 98% and so on.

So I (not realizing I had completely faulty readings) thought well, I am good to go on the engine, spend all the money on the tranny.

I had the transmission rebuilt again, corrected the problem that caused me to miss the shift in the first place, replace the syncros again, etc, etc.

Then I loan the compression tester and leakdown tester to a friend, and told him (proudly) which hose was better. He tried them out and then called me - hey the hose you recommended has a check valve in it, so I took it out so I could use it for the leakdown, hope that is OK.

Luckily I hadn't put the engine all the way back in the car. Mind you, months had elapsed, and due to financial constraints (IE, I refuse to put another dime of money pit racing onto a credit card), I had been waiting to finish everything.

I get the leakdown tester back from him, and check it, and lo and behold the whole right side is at about 25%, and the left side is just around 75%-80%.

Good news! I get a rebuild! Bad news! Still waiting for that call from Mr. McMahon

A few weeks/months later the finances all started coming together again, and I took the engine over to Mr. Randall to do the engine work. The REASON the finances worked out was due to the success of my business, which meant I would be travelling. A lot. In April I was in town for a total of about 5 days I think. So no time (or energy) to work on it myself.

So he has had it since I took it over there. And we had to do heads and valves and other various things. And it was almost done 2 weeks ago, and as he was tightening the head studs, one snapped. Good news! There is no better time to break a head stud than on the mechanic's bench! Bad News! more cash, more delays.

So I missed our local club race, missed half our autocross/time trial season (this is not anyone's fault but mine, because I delayed a long time saving up for the rebuild).

But hopefully I will have it back soon. I have a new exhaust on it too, so I can't wait to see the upgrade in horsepower!

So there's the update. I chickened out and didn't do it myself (more of a time issue than bravery, I keep telling myself
05 Honda Civic
07 Expedition Eddie Bauer EL
Old 06-14-2008, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Wow James !! Great to hear all is well with you and machine.
You are doing all of the right things here... AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TRYING TO SAVE A FEW $$ IF YOU CAN BY DOING SOME OF or ALL OF THE WORK. Really!
It does come down exactly to what you said in the end... its more of a time thing than bravery... great decision on your part.
Maybe think of this whole process as this... all of the money spent is insurance $$. All the less that could give you problems when you put it back on the road... mind you here that it seems that you autocross and time trial the car = something marginal will raise its ugly head way sooner than a street ride car.
Just keep making the money and pay your mechanic and you will be back on the road in no time.
Someone on the board has as part of their avitar: speed or porsche... its all about how fast you want to spend your $$...the more you spend the faster you can go !
Thanks for the update and keep us posted on how it all continues to go and after she is back on the road.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us all.
Bob
Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

James I'm subscribing to your post. I'm also in Dallas/Irving with a 78'sc I am totally redoing. I've pulled the engine, disassemble the top end, cleaned everything. I'm off working on the engine for now, having totally stripped the paint off the car and epoxy primed most panels. When I get it all primed and blocked it's off to a painter. Then its back to the engine. I'm mucho frugal so I'll be looking for the most reasonable way to rebuild my heads. Some guys on the board spend more $ on their rebuild than I can justify, so if you come across any local shops you think are reasonable, I'd appreciate the names. Good luck with your rebuild.
Doug

Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: