Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Vacuum advance distributor & webers

I just had a rebuild on a 2.2T and had s pistons and cylinders,had the heads ported to 38mm and early solex grind cams. i have been told the marelli mech. advance distributor is totally the wrong curve for this set up. i have a vacuum advance distributor from a 1975s. does this have the right curve and where the heck do i plug the vacuum line. also this engine has only maybe 100 miles and it will smoke until it gets warm. Is this because the rings haven't seated yet or what. it is running a little rich also.
HELP!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rod,

1) Since parts for the Marelli are now NLA, I'd suggest locating a Bosch unit and have that recurved for your application. Displacement, cams, compression, and gasolines all must be factored during that process.

2) The 2.7 distributor from the '75S doesn't fit the early (2.0-2.2) cases unless its machined down to 27mm. Thats a job for a pro.

3) You don't need vacuum advance unless you require maximum fuel economy,... Initial and centrifugal will get the job done.

4) Without knowing anything about your engine and precisely what was done, all one can do is speculate. Leakdown testing shows when the rings have seated. Unless you do this on an engine dyno, it takes a few thousand miles to occur in the car and that really depends on technique.

5) Richness depends on carburetor jetting, fuel pressure, and float levels. You may need to make some adjustments.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

many thanks, Steve
i have to locate a bosch dist. and start from there. i am a beginner porsche mechanic and have a lot to learn.
rod

Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: