Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bob is right, budget about $500, that is around what it cost me.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob barnes View Post
Andy,

It will be cheaper in the long run to ship the crank to CCR and have Armando do the work. Many mistakes can be made by some machine shop learning how to vs. someone who has performed the work. Getting a clean crank returned with plugs
fitted not to come out can be a problem for the machine shop not familiar with the procedure.

CCR is a crank expert-period. Money well spent. Since using CCR, I have not lost a rod in any of my Race motors turning 8000RPM+.

Henry, we are for once in agreement! Must be a new beginning.

Bob
I did a search and it turns out Armando has had a bit of bad press around
here. Bottom line is I'm not shipping my valuable crank half way around the
world for it to sit in somebody's shop for 2 years.

So if anybody has done a diagram of exactly what needs to be done here
for me to give to a machinist here that would be huge.

Even a set of drawings showing the existing internal oil passages would
go a long way.

andy
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I had tried to get hold of CCR mid last year, but never connected. So, I had my crank work done by marine crankshaft. Inspect, crossdrill, polish, etc. Nice guys, did a great job. Turns out though, my distributor drive gear got banged up during shipping. Marine didn't have any extras around so I called CCR today. Armando treated me like family (never spoke to him before) and put one in the mail to me within 1 hour, free of charge. He even called me back to give me the tracking number for my free part!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Andy,

You are right! Several people in the past had cranks sitting and were quite disturbed. The saying "Squeaky wheel gets the oil" works here. My first meeting with Armando was to retrieve a Race Crank from a fellow Racer who was totally miffed that the crank had not been returned to him for several months and asked me to retrieve it!

On the other hand, a small one man shop has a heavy overhead burden if the racers take 60-90days to get around to paying for a crank Master's work after it was shipped 2nd day.

Armando is working very hard to overcome the bad rep! He's very good, and is trying extremely hard to please a lot of racers and overcome the past mistakes.

Those of us who pay on delivery seem to get great turnaround. Cash does talk.

Sending these notes with your Crank to him and $500 will ensure your crank gets turned around in two-three weeks! Armando local friends will help him restore his good customer service and on time delivery satisfaction.

Bob
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Does anyone have a contact number for armando at CCR?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

May just want to try to google Custom Crankshaft Repair Armando... He's in CA.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Doc Speed

I sent Armando two cranks in March. One needed rods and mains both turned to 2nd under (912) and the other needed the mains cleaned up rods turned to 2nd under (356C), which required re-nitriding. Some turkey ground the 356 crank without a proper radius, Armando saved it at 1st under. That crank would have broken in 10,000 miles or less.

He kindly waited until I located a set of 2nd under mains before moving ahead. Main bearings for 356 and 912 have gone through the roof. I found a set and called him up. He was done with the cranks in two weeks. Called me up and asked that I mail him a check. I didn't bother to ask why and given his responsiveness, that was just fine by me. He's a fine man. Next time I'm on the left coast, I'll stop by and meet him.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by code7rpd View Post
does anyone have a contact number for armando at ccr?
650-342-0568

Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cross drill crank