Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Shane

Garage
Question PMO 46 - am I going to need different jetting etc.

I currently have PMO 46 carburetors:

Updated: I called Clewett and my current carb configuation should suit my build perfectly.

I have:

Venturies: 38
Main: 160
Air: 190
Idle: 55
Idle Air: 130
Emul: F11
Shane -- 78SC Big Port 3.2 SS, 46 PMO Carbs, M&K 2/2, RARLYL8 Headers, DRC GT2-108 Cams, MSD, Clewett Wires, J&E 98mm (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)

Last edited by snbush67; 02-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: GTG
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Lots of good advice in this thread. I think you can push the static compression ratio up over 10-1 with single plugs, but like Henry says everything has to be perfect. The camshaft profile plays a big part in what you can get away with too. The biggest problem is getting consistent octane pump fuel. One bad batch of 87 octane from a 93 octane pump will ruin your day.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Well said John. This exact thing happened to my 3.5L. Ran on the track all morning last September, filled up with "92 octane", engine grenaded on lap 3 after lunch. Connecting rods through the case for which I have diagnosed as detonation. ARP rod bolts held strong though!!

The engine had the best components and had never had any problems; twin plug, high compression and custom SW chip....but bad gas ruined my day/week/year.....

A good excuse for a 3.6L conversion is how I keep a positive outlook

Craig

An understanding wife!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgrinder View Post
....edit..... The biggest problem is getting consistent octane pump fuel. One bad batch of 87 octane from a 93 octane pump will ruin your day.
With the vampire like "undead green radicals" permeating all facets of the government sucking the life force out of our economy.........(inhale) , I predict that fuel will continue to get worse. No doubt, without warning.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
In my motorcycle racing days we used pump gas to practice and backed out some timing. On race day we went to the airport and bought 5 gallons of 105 and mixed it with Klotz and bumped the timing. They didn't make VP back then. I guess I'll have to do that with my new 3.0L.

Lindy
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Not to hijack this thread, but anyone reading and looking to twin plug their 3.2L.....I have some beauties for sale.

FS: 3.2 Cylinder Heads Twin Plug

Craig

An understanding wife!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Very Tempting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chstephens5219 View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but anyone reading and looking to twin plug their 3.2L.....I have some beauties for sale.

FS: 3.2 Cylinder Heads Twin Plug

Craig

See...and I was trying to ignore that from the classifieds...and you bring it in here...yesterday I am at the shop and my mechanic/consultant pulls out a electromotive twin plug set up and says I'll give it to you cheap. I didnt even ask how much. He was trying to get me to go with the high compression 10.5:1 pistons and was looking for some twin plugged heads. And here you are with the twin plugged heads and improved valve spring kit all ready installed.

And at a great price w rocker arms include.

I all ready have made up my mind and have the camshafts and pistons and cylinders on their way.

At least someone else considering a similar build can have a shot at these.
Shane -- 78SC Big Port 3.2 SS, 46 PMO Carbs, M&K 2/2, RARLYL8 Headers, DRC GT2-108 Cams, MSD, Clewett Wires, J&E 98mm (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)

Last edited by snbush67; 02-10-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

You will have a strong engine Shane and it's great to see your research. There are so many options when building out a 3.2L...it's overwhelming at times. Enjoy!

Craig

An understanding wife!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Thumbs up Thanks everyone my parts will be here soon.

This has certainly been a quest, there are a lot of good people on this board and the vendors I have been referred to have simply been incredible. I should have the spring kit tomorrow, I'll put those in and then the Pistons and cylinders, maybe the cams hopefully everything will be here early next week and then I can start the build and be finished by the following weekend.

#1 Pelican - Great prices and prompt delivery

Troy from EBS
- He has just read my mind and stuck with me through my indecisiveness, he has answered countless questions and returned phone calls emails etc. I changed my order three times. Troy if your reading this please go ahead and ship I am serious this time...this is it...for real, ship them.

John Dougherty (Camgrinder)
- He is grinding my cams he has answered calls even on Saturday, returned phone calls messages and even chimed in on this thread. Very patient and understanding and truly an expert in his craft.

Craig AKA (Cgarr) he has my rocker arms and shafts, simply a great guy to deal with

Richard Clewett great product service and excellent to talk to, I have a new set of his wires I'll be trying out with this build.

Richard Parr from PMO, once you buy his product you are in and have his expertise, he let me know my set up as is will work great on this build and told me to keep a close watch on my plugs as they will tell the story.

Ben from M&K - simply thanks for making a great quality product.

Steve at rennsport who I haven't even bought anything from but willingly gave advice and recommendations, come to think of it I'll probably have to get my distributor modified.

And all the experts who have kept me on the right path.

Last edited by snbush67; 02-10-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Shane,

If you do get your distributor recurve or else, Steve Weiner @ Rennsport is the expert authority
on this matter.

Regards
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Pelican Parts Thought I would share this

It does the math for you:

Compression Ratio Simulator

Need to know:

Number Of Cylinders
Bore Diameter [in]
Stroke Length [in]
Combustion Chamber Volume [cc]
Head Gasket Compressed Thickness [in]
Head Gasket Bore Diameter [in]
Piston To Deck Clearance [in]
What type of pistons do you have?
Dished or Flat Top
Domed
Dish/ValveRelief/Dome Volume [positive cc]

Results:
Displacement, [cubic inches]
Displacement, [liters]
Static compression ratio :1

Last edited by snbush67; 02-11-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre911SC View Post
Hello Shane,

If you do get your distributor recurve or else, Steve Weiner @ Rennsport is the expert authority
on this matter.

Regards
Aaron (Burn-Bros) is also exceptional at distributor manipulation.
Aaron is responsible for the creation of the rotor that revolutionized the Marelli cap application.

Rennwerks Inc.
3968 Camino Ranchero
Camarillo, CA. 93012

805-240-6931
aaronburnham@hotmail.com
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Shane

Garage
Pelican Parts 3.2 ss Compression Ratio Calculated

Considering everything goes as planned I will end up with...

Drum roll please......

That should leave me well over the 1.5mm piston to valve clearance as these pistons have some sweet pockets.

If I end up with a piston to deck height of .035 the ratio comes out to 9.8:1.

When I put in the gasket size of .025 the calculator brings the CR down to 8.8 is that something I should consider?

When calculating the CR in Bruce Anderson's book he doesn't mention the gasket.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Thumbs up Almost Forgot

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbush67 View Post
Oh man, you're making me jealous............

Just for that, take this!!

and this!
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Arrow

Good try Tom, but this is the engine building section

Ok I see you got a shot of your engine in but look at this.... Polished and clearcaoted good for at least .00347 HP.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Oooh purdy

It's good to see you moving along so quickly. Are you going to time the cams yourself? That's the only thing I'm hesitant to do myself as I've never done one(Porsche that is). Closest I ever came to something like that was my Kawasaki ZX7RR superbike back in the 90's
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

The first "lesson" I learned building motors is to:
Rule #1: "Trust No One, Measure Everything Yourself"

The last 3.2SS I built had 9.5:1 compression using JE piston from EBS (great guys BTW).

When I cc'd the resulting combination I got 10.5:1 CR. Ooops, they sent me the wrong pistons.
I exchanged them for another set. I CC'd those and they were also 10.5:1.
In the end I machined them to down to 9.5:1.

This is not the vendors fault; they can't CC every piston they get. They have to trust JE (or their communication with JE) to produce what they asked for.

It's your responsibility as the engine builder to check all this stuff.

have fun!
-Chris
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Thanks Chris, I will CC everything.

I know how to measure and do the calculations as well as using clay to measure clearances.

Once the engine is all together is there a method to verify actual CR?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Step by step procedure on how to cc your head volume

This is the best you can get for CR verification. But it still takes a bunch of math.

I prefer to do the math myself than hope on a correct conversion by a web page.

Oh, and my 9.5:1 JE pistons are really 9.9:1

Richard
Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)
Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: