Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Shane

Garage
Lightbulb Break-in Secrets

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

For reference the above thread has great information.
Shane -- 78SC Big Port 3.2 SS, 46 PMO Carbs, M&K 2/2, RARLYL8 Headers, DRC GT2-108 Cams, MSD, Clewett Wires, J&E 98mm (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Garage
We have done it this way for 30+ years. I grew up with a guy that for most of his professional career set up motorcycles for American Honda that the magazines would get for testing. He basically blue-printed the bike from axle to axle. His method for break in was warm it and hammer it. A slow break in meant a slow motor.

Lindy
Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Lindy,

Thanks, I did it right , per your recomendation.

Shane
Shane -- 78SC Big Port 3.2 SS, 46 PMO Carbs, M&K 2/2, RARLYL8 Headers, DRC GT2-108 Cams, MSD, Clewett Wires, J&E 98mm (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)
Old 11-13-2010, 12:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

I've always liked that advice.

Though I admit partly because it aligns with my inability to do any kind of slow break-in. I have a new motor, it is for the race car, and I can't afford to do anything other than hammer it pretty much from the get-go. Run it enough to drive into the trailer, check for leaks, and out and over to the grid.

Wishful thinking can be dangerous, but so far this hasn't bitten me in the posterior. Leakdowns are uniformly good.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Shane.

Thank you and all the others for sharing so much knowledge!

Two years on, could you share how the engine has "aged", specifically oil consumption, etc.
Also, in hindsight, would you have done anything differently?

Thanks in advance,
Ben.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Arrow

I just changed the oil from Amsoil 10-40, to Amsoil 20-50 I have only added a quart. This engine simply does not burn oil.

I tinker with it frequently, but I do not think I would do anything differently, the cams are a bit lumpy at lower RPMs, and the dual out was a bit loud until I put baffles in the tips.

But, no I wouldn't have done anything different , I like the simplicity and longevity of lower compression, single plug, carbs and distributor.

Little things make a huge difference and when the exhaust, intake, engine is finely tuned you can really get a lot of satisfaction. The engine spins up to stock redline 7K and beyond without worry.

Hope this helps, did you see my video?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

please post (again) video of your car & engine set up please...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the additional insight Shane.
Yes, I did see the video taken along some gorgeous road (in Hawaii I presume?).
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)
Shane

Garage
Arrow The Video as requested

The only other thing I have done since posting this video is I locked out the vacuum plate on the distributor and I have added baffles to the tail pipe.

DIY -- Distributor Vacuum Pod Delete and Vacuum Lockout

Sound Video Preview; M&K with RARLYL8 Headers

Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: