Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best bang for the buck

I'm in the middle of my 85 Carrera 3.2L race project. While the car is almost ready for the body shop, I'm starting to think ahead with my plans for the engine.
True I can keep it a 3.2L but since I'm alway looking for the best bang for the buck, is it worth making it a 3.4 or even 3.5?
I realize with the 3.5 I will need extra machining, with means extra cost. But I get that much more performance?
I also realize I can go higher but I think anything above the 3.5 is really not worth all the extra cash.

Thanks for the help
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Armando

You say "race" project. To me, that means you plan to race the car. Which means you need to race with some organization: PCA, POC, SCCA, NASA, etc. All organizations have class rules of some sort.

The worst bang for the buck is to build an engine without regard for class rules, and then find that you are put into a class where your motor is inherently uncompetitive.

For instance, a couple of years ago PCA Club Racing decided that the "GT" cars (basically a modified class - do pretty much what you want, with a few limits to keep the cars Porsches) should no longer be classified based on ranges of displacement. Instead, there is a formula which in essence is horsepower to weight (displacement and engine type serve as a substitute for actual horsepower) range.

All of us who race in these classes strive to maximize things, so our cars plus driver come in at the minimum weight for that engine in the class we want to be in.

Other organizations have other rules.

The main thing is to know several of them and use that as part of your decisionmaking process.

If by "race" you mean something else, certainly a bolt-in route is always going to be best bang for the buck, isn't it? You can make a 3.4 really haul.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the reply
Yes, I am/racing SCCA and NASA. Which generally means anything goes. I am leaning towards the 3.4 since the only macining necessary are the cylinders. But also not sure how much more machining and cost is needed for the 3.5 and is it worth it.
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Armando,

Walt offered some stellar advice,....race cars are built to the specific class they will compete in and that means one builds a competitive engine so you are not an automatic back marker in the venue you run.

I'm a believer in not "bringing a knife to a gunfight" so I prefer to ensure that a race motor will be competitive,...

Your budget plays the biggest role in such endeavors and thats the very first question I ask each customer when planning a build. You have lots of options, but they will depend on the resources you have.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Armando,
If you are interested in the 3.5 route, you should talk to Charles at LN Engineering. They made a set of slip fit 3.5 "Nickies" that do not require machining the case.

LN Engineering Nickies The Original and Genuine CNC Billet Aluminum NSC-Plated Cylinders
'70 914-6 (looong term restoration)
'74 TR-6
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
In SCCA the only rules difference between 3.2 and 3.4 is weight.

If I go the 3.4 route, I remember reading only certain OEM 3.2 cylinders could be bored to 3.4. Can someone give me some details and how do I know what I have?
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
All Carrera 3.2 cylinders can be bored to 98mm, its the 3 liter that can't.

Best back for the buck would be a 3.6 swap and adding headers, MAF and chip. But that might not suit the rules, I don't know.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: