Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Choosing Crank Bearings For 3.6

Since I made the decision to purchase a set of Pauter rods for my 3.6 DE engine the next question that came up is what bearings to choose for this motor?

The car is street driven to the tracks and also used for early Sunday morning romps. So the engine see's double duty. I've driven as far as 12 hours to VIR and as close as 5 to WGI. I thought this info. might be important. Yes, I need to get a trailer....soon.

What type of bearings do I choose? Glyco or Porsche standard shells? Any other options out there?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Since I made the decision to purchase a set of Pauter rods for my 3.6 DE engine the next question that came up is what bearings to choose for this motor?

The car is street driven to the tracks and also used for early Sunday morning romps. So the engine see's double duty. I've driven as far as 12 hours to VIR and as close as 5 to WGI. I thought this info. might be important. Yes, I need to get a trailer....soon.

What type of bearings do I choose? Glyco or Porsche standard shells? Any other options out there?

Thanks,

Dan
Call me tomorrow during business hours (PDT).
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Call Brian Pauter he will tell you what is the right bearings to use .
Old 10-10-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
Call me tomorrow during business hours (PDT).

Thanks Steve, will do.

SDA, sound advise. Will investigate further with Brian. Thanks!

Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Call me tomorrow during business hours
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pantera,

If you don't mind sharing, please let us know what you went with and why. I would appreciate it, and I think other fellow Pelicans would too.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi AlfonsoR, sorry usually I like to follow up but have been side tracked. Here's what I know thus far:

1) Spoke to Steve Weiner and some other talented engine builders in the Hi Performance automotive industry and the general consensus is the Calico coated bearings are the gold standard of engine bearings. They appear to be standard withe nitros engine builders because of the abuse they will take at high oil temps. There are many other cost benefits listed in the Smart catalogue.

2) Communicated with Brian from Pauter Rods. Nice guy and answered all my questions. His standard off the shelf rods use standard OEM Porsche bearings with the big ends machined to the middle of the road bearing specs so no additional machine work needed to resize for the Porsche bearings.

3) OEM Porsche bearings are a good bearing. Many engine builders have no issues using them.

I'm leaning towards using the Smart Calico bearings but need to find out how much extra thickness the Calico film adds to the bearing. If I need to resize the Pauter rods to gain rod clearances I may just go OEM.

Dan

Last edited by pantera; 10-17-2010 at 02:05 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: