Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
My friends call me Phish

Garage
912 to 911 wiring and such

I am currently building a 2.7 CIS engine and converting it to (MFI) Webers. I am planning on putting the engine in my '66 912 and was hoping that someone has done this before...

Basically, I am looking for a checklist of parts (not engine parts) that I will need and maybe a wiring diagram, so that I can use the same wiring loom in the vehicle.

The '66 has the three gauges, temp and tank were combined on one gauge, tach, and then speedo, can I use those or will I have to get the 5?

The current 912 engine has a generator and the engine I am building has an alternator will that be an issue, if so what do I need to convert it?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That will be a nice conversion when you're finished; put in a little effort and the engine bay can look absolutely 911.

Obviously you'll need to cut the 912 engine mount flanges off and weld in the 911 flanges, and alter the engine compartment side panel for the 911 oil tank. Off the top of my head, I believe that's the extent of sheet metal alteration.

Make sure you have the right bits for the throttle linkage, from the pivot on the side of the transmission to the bellcrank on the intake manifold. (By the way, what are "MFI Webers"?)

Wiring will be easy to figure out if you put a '66 911 wiring diagram next to a '66 912 diagram. Unless you change out the instruments for 911 items, and run some new wires down the loom, you will end up with a melange of 911 and 912 wiring. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and it might be good to start with a rather basic setup.

For oil pressure, install the 912's oil pressure switch into the 911 case in place of the 911's oil pressure sender. The 912's oil temp sender should go where the 911's oil temp sender goes (you'll want to keep the '12 sender so you know it's matched to your gauge). This is assuming threads are the same. You won't have a way to wire up the 911's oil tank level sender. No big deal-- if you have been driving a 912, presumably you are already used to opening the decklid to check your oil! With this arrangement, you can keep your 912 gauges with all functionality. If later you find a set of 911 instruments, you can run new wires etc at that time. (Note that the 5 gauges in a 911 are not the same as the 5 gauges in a 912.)

The ignition circuit won't be that much different. The generator-to-alternator change will require some rewiring of the charging circuit, but not much; again, compare the wiring diagrams. Don't forget that you will need the voltage regulator that went with your 911's alternator.

And then that's about it! Except... your 912 transaxle will have ratios not well-suited to a 2.7L engine. But you can always deal with that later.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
My friends call me Phish

Garage
Thanks Vitov!!!

I should of been more specific, MFI for the throttle bodies. As for my gauges, I wanna keep the 3, makes the car lighter, (haha) and cheaper then finding a really nice set.

I didn't think about changing the Oil Pressure switch, even though the 911 switch looks like the same as the 912's, are they constructed differently? I am glad you covered the oil temp sender, I didn't really know how to address this since the 911 sender as a roundish tab instead of a flat tab.

My 912 leaks and I use it as a daily, so I am consistently checking my oil.

When I acquired the engine the voltage regulator wasn't present. Can I use any regulator or does it have to be that one?

For my tranny I am looking forward to my gear ratio with my build 902 5 speed. Unless I am completely off the deep end. Suggestions?

A 11:34, F18:34, M 22:29, S 25:26, X28:24

A 11:34, F18:33, M 23:29, S 26:25 X29:22
Doesn't the 915 have pretty close to the same ratio?

What should I do about a fuel pump? I hear a lot of talk about getting a fuel regulator into the carbs. I guess the webers can only take 3psi.

Last edited by pemz0r; 10-21-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: