Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine oil thermostat replacement replacement

Hi guys.......have a 1986 930 with a failed engine oil thermostat.Could use any input as to procedure on replacing this part.Any input and or photos would be appreciated.

2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
2011 Nissan Xterra(wifes car)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Does the 930 run a thermostat in the crankcase as well as one in the thermostat housing behind the RHS shark-pin?

I've just removed the one from the separate thermo housing behind the shark-fin...the 964 Turbo (965) only has the one.

If this is the one you need to replace, then make sure everything's clean before you start undoing connections or removing plates, don't want ingress....I removed the whole unit, as I'm overhauling EVERYTHING (!), but I read somewhere that the only way to remove the thermostat insert cover is to drill and tap a hole in the middle (once the circlip is removed)...I did try to heat the outer casing but it wouldn't shift. I did end up drilling and tapping for an M8 hole, then using a slide hammer to gently reverse-tap the cover out. After that, the insert and spring come out very easily.

Some pics I posted in my engine rebuild thread (in the footnote):

I believe the thermostat insert and spring are the same for both the crankcase unit and the chassis mounted one.

HTH
Spencer
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pictures are from a turbo much like yours. The aluminum tube is easily removable and right behind it is the thermostat, 2 6mm nuts a nd the thermostat can go in only correctly. You might change the red switch too as it will leak.
make area clean and blow out because removing the thermostat opens the main oil galley.
Last picture is just reference because its clear of wires.
Bruce

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thermostat

Thank you both for your input,I do so appreciate the effort.
Regards
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thermostat

Have removed the thermostat,dropped it into a pot of boiling water and watched it slowly open to about 25% of what looks like it's maximum travel.No wonder the engine was running hot.New part should be here in a couple of days.Again,thank you for the assistance.
Regards
Old 09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Good stuff. Not got around to testing mine yet. There weren't any problems before pulling the engine, so it should be ok still...unless the engine pixies have gotten in.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Don't want to bring up an old post but I'm just trying to get my thermostat out, how can i move the bundle of wires above it out of the way without damaging anything?

Thanks Andrew
Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObrHaus View Post
Don't want to bring up an old post but I'm just trying to get my thermostat out, how can i move the bundle of wires above it out of the way without damaging anything?

Thanks Andrew
PM sent
Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Just to follow up, the starter wires can be moved a tad bit more by removing the rubber brick they pass through. (Thanks Chris @ Turbokraft !) Just got mine back together and no leaks
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hello; can anybody offer a few words on the secret handshake to remove the rubber brick with a heavy wire bundle running through that needs to be set aside (as alluded to by ObrHaus) in order to fully access and remove the engine thermostat. 1982 930. The wire runs a few mm above the housing and is stiff - I don't want to create a wiring problem by forcing it, nor would I want to chaff off any crap that will fall into the open chamber. Many Thanks!

Old 01-08-2020, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: