Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Newbie needs 911 HELP - 1985 Euro

I just purchased a 1985 Euro Spec 911 Convertible. LOVE IT! However, it needs some things and I'd like to know what you all would recommend. First, here is the car:

The original owner had sent it (5 years ago) out to California for a total engine and tranny rebuild. $13,800+ later the car came back strong.

He has done headers and I think some other things, removed the heater, installed new a/c compressor, and a few things.

The tranny shifts "rough" but I dont know if its the tranny or the shifter... It is very LOOSE, as in, it has no center, if I make a hard left turn, the shifter will fly to the right if in neutral, kind of loose. I am used to a car having a "center position" somewhere in between 3 and 4th gear, right? This shifter just moves too freely, so it can be hard to always find the gears. not to mention, it also takes some effort to "click" it into second and fourth sometimes. it is not always an easy shift.

Sound like tranny problem or shifter problems? I heard about a kit for like ($350) that replaces my shifter, bushings, etc.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
Before you spend big money on that shifter...check the condition of the coupler in the system.
A bad set of bushings (cheap part) can give you the exact feeling you have described.
Search for "shifter" in the forums.
Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks a bunch. I would assume most mechanics could see if the coupling is bad? I work for an Acura dealership, so my techs will check most stuff for me free. Also, I noticed that a coupler is about $220 for a performance model through Automotion. Is it just better to spend the $375 on the entire gear shift kit, or save the cash and just replace the coupler?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is a guy on the list that makes a coupler..
search coupler whisperer
Bruce
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reiver

check the coupler whisp as advised. Take it a step at a time....the bushing for the linkage are cheap. Get it as 'new' and take it from there.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You should just replace all the bushings in the shifter and the coupler. I would purchase a set of brass coupler bushing (will last you a lifetime) and then there are a few other bushing in the shifter and that go arund the shift rod. a little tight to get in there, but well worth doing. The 915 stock shifter doesnt have a set up that has the shifter in the 3-4 plane when it is in nuetral. but it shouldnt go from one end to the other.. i suspect the problem is the bushing ont he bottom of your shifter (i think it is called the cup bushing) is broken. That replacement alone will likely fix the looseness in the shifter.

relatively easy to replace...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
So, its worth getting just the coupler and replacing to "test? it out and see? As I mentioned, it not only just has free play, but getting into gear sometimes requires a tad of force, especially 2nd and 4th. Again, the tranny was rebuilt 10k miles ago, so not thinking it is the tranny. What else could casuse something like that?

I guess I am trying to make sure I am addressing ALL the shifter issues with one swoop, rather than replacing the coupler which fixes just the "loose" issue of the shifter, and then I am still throwing around the shifter looking for the gears. make sense?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If the tranny was recently rebuilt, your most likely culprit is one of the shifter bushings. Try the coupler bushings before you go to any more major troubleshooting than that. They're cheap enough and well worth the upgrade by themselves.

Also make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The coupler and the shifter are two separate issues. Replace the bushings in the coupler. These are cheap ($20) and your techs can do it in no time. Replace all the bushings in the shifter. These are also cheap and the cup at the bottom of the shift shaft. Once you do these things your shifter and coupler will be as new. If you still have problems you'll need to start looking at other things.

Make sure when you put the coupler back on the shift shaft and the input shaft to the trans-axle that is is aligned properly. You'll need a manual for instructions and this is a very important step in the process.

In a nut shell, spend $50 for the bushings and go for it. No need to throw down big cash for fancy couplers when that might not be your problem.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
Being the tightwad I am...lol...I made my own bushings for the coupler out of Delrin.
Simple to make on a lathe...and the flange cut was made on a band saw.
Most difficult part was being careful when pushing out the old bushings and pushing in the new (so not to crack the aluminum housing).
All in all....a 1/2hr job.
Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

here is a youtube video which may help...

Porsche 911 Shift Coupler & Shifter Bushings, Motor Meister - YouTube
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
GREAT video. It answered a few questions, but one big one remains... WHERE to buy the right coupling and bushing for my shifter... lol. I know it's here on the site, but if anyone would post a link to the exact one for my car, it be a great help. I'd rather NOT spend the $150 for the kit or $350 for the shift kit and get if I do not need it.

My shift just seems clunky and sloppy. Sometimes I have to "try" to get it into first and second until it clinks in.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Something to note is that these cars (915 transmission) have always been known to be " sloppy". They are not new Honda transmissions. Shifting is slower in an older Porsche.

Last edited by jamesjedi; 11-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I pourchased the $149 kit that is here from Pelican parts. Hope it fits easily. I will have a mechanic install as I am NO technician. Looks easy enough though.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Did you buy the sienne gate shift kit? That will resolve the 3/4 plane issue, but not the bushings...

actually it isnt hard, but can be a bit frustrating and its a tight fit...largely laying ther on your stomach on the front seat...smile...good luck and hope it works out. hopefully the bushings and aligning the coupler will resolve the issue for you...the shifter is clunky regardless, and not as smooth as later cars, but once you get used to it, quite enjoyable...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

here is the page for the bushing kit...first one on top...

Porsche 911 & Carrera Shift Linkage - Page 1
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
So the kit i bought does not include the bushings? I bought this: Pelican Parts - Product Information: PEL-SEINESHFT
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Reeve View Post
So the kit i bought does not include the bushings? I bought this: Pelican Parts - Product Information: PEL-SEINESHFT
Nope, the shifter kit you bought does not include bushings.
With that kit, I'd buy the following:

911-424-139-00-M260 Ball Cup Shift Bushing at base of shift lever, 912E, 911 (1974-86), 911 Turbo (1976-88)
Brand: OEM [More Info]

$7.50

914-424-224-00-M260 Shift Rod Bushing in Tunnel Behind Shifter, 912E, 911 (1969-86), 911 Turbo (1976-88)

$6.50

950-424-224-03-M737 Shift Rod Bushing, 911 (1987-89), 911 Turbo (1989)
Brand: Hamburg Technic [More Info]

$4.50

And then I'd send my rear coupler to Ivangene, "the coupler whisperer" for his delrin bushings on an exchange basis. He did Mine and it works great. Do a search on him and his product. Pelican sells them as well if you want to install them yourself.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Nope, the shifter kit you bought does not include bushings.
With that kit, I'd buy the following:

911-424-139-00-M260 Ball Cup Shift Bushing at base of shift lever, 912E, 911 (1974-86), 911 Turbo (1976-88)

$7.50

914-424-224-00-M260 Shift Rod Bushing in Tunnel Behind Shifter, 912E, 911 (1969-86), 911 Turbo (1976-88)

$6.50

950-424-224-03-M737 Shift Rod Bushing, 911 (1987-89), 911 Turbo (1989)
Brand: Hamburg Technic [More Info]

$4.50

And then I'd send my rear coupler to Ivangene, "the coupler whisperer" for his delrin bushings on an exchange basis. He did Mine and it works great. Do a search on him and his product. Pelican sells them as well if you want to install them yourself.
***THANKS, I just ordered ALL of the above to install with the Shift kit i already have.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 3.2