Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ultrasonic Cleaning Heads w/ Ceramic Coating

I picked up a cheap cheap ultra sonic tub. I am cleaning all the hard carbon deposits off the pistons with it. Its working pretty well. Just using a water and alum safe degreaser mix. I want to use it to clean the heads but am worried about the ceramic coating in the exhaust ports. Heads are from a 993 3.6. I have seen big shops clean other 911 heads this way but never a 3.6. I would imagine its the same ... just worried about the coating. Is it safe? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocobill View Post
I picked up a cheap cheap ultra sonic tub. I am cleaning all the hard carbon deposits off the pistons with it. Its working pretty well. Just using a water and alum safe degreaser mix. I want to use it to clean the heads but am worried about the ceramic coating in the exhaust ports. Heads are from a 993 3.6. I have seen big shops clean other 911 heads this way but never a 3.6. I would imagine its the same ... just worried about the coating. Is it safe? Thanks.
What kind of cleaner is it? I'm assuming if it's taking carbon off the pistons, it works well for degreasing as well. How quickly does it clean dirt/oil?

As for the ceramic in your ports, I'm not sure what kind is being used there but I would say go ahead and clean them if you must. If they are coated properly you shouldn't have any issues. If they are not, better you have a failure in the cleaning tub than in a running engine.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its a cheap HF cleaner. I have a Big $$$ tub at work but dont have access to it right now. Im looking online for some larger tubs ... 8 - 15 Gal tubs. This cleaner for the money is fairly good. I have some baked on hard carbon on the pistons. I can do two pistons at a time. Most of the crud comes off the piston with in 5 min ... The carbon takes a good bit longer. Im sure with a more aggressive degreaser it would come off quicker but not worth the risk. Looks like the heads and cylinders will fit too but will have to half of them and then flip it.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ceramic coating should stay on regardless of cleaner. Just think of what hits the stuff during combustion / exhaust. As you already mentioned you're using aluminum safe cleaner. Ceramics and aluminum are mostly affected by alkaline cleaners and acid which tends to etch them. I tested my cleaner by putting old spark plugs in it and using different types of detergents. The most damaging was CLR which etched the shine off the porcelain.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Are you referring to the ceramic liner/insert in the exhaust ports?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes ... the exhaust ceramic coating.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
OK. That material is very durable.

Think of it this way, it has to withstand things like fuel injector/system cleaner. That stuff is some NASTY stuff with all sorts of hexanes, ketones and all sorts of other carcinogenic volatile organic compounds that eat carbon off of valves and combustion chambers in many cases only one fuel tank treatment. Berryman B12 Chemtool is one brand i've used that is that effective. NASTY stuff.....
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The ceramic passage PAG and other manufacturers use in their exhaust ports shouldn't be confused with the various ceramic coatings sprayed or otherwise applied to engine parts for heat insulation.

Porsche, as well as other manufacturers have patents on their own processes which reads as a rigid/semi-rigid structure made from various insulation materials. This is opposed to typical ceramic coatings which are sprayed onto a surface which results in a coating a few mils thick.

Patente US4648243 - Hollow ceramic body - Google Patentes

Properly-applied, ceramic coated surfaces are tough enough to withstand some level of mechanical friction/abrasion (often used in gun/rifle receivers, knives, etc.). In addition to sprayed exhaust headers and engine components, some aftermarket alloy wheels are ceramic coated to withstand the effects of typical solvents, oils, greases, brake fluid, etc. found in and around vehicles.

Sherwood
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
anyone have a magic additive for the Ultrasonic tank solution? Re carbs, pistons and heads.

I see some carb guy suggest vinegar or medium strength degreaser etc.. figured there might be something a little better though a good 3 hrs at 60deg Celsius and the piston carbon does loosen up alot and a gentle clean/polish removes the rest.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I use diluted simple green
Old 08-05-2018, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
get a 5 gal bucket of Berryman 0905 Chem-dip Professional not for the ultrasonic cleaner. makes the old sealer come off like snot and the carbon is gone.
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Try using aircraft paint stripper for carbon removal on pistons, valves, and cylinder heads. It's the same active ingredient in the Berryman, methylene chloride, it takes almost no time, and the carbon wipes right off.
Enjoy
David
Performance EngiNERDing
Old 08-07-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

I wouldn't worry about any cleaners hurting the ceramic coating as the ultrasonic hurting it (not saying it will hurt the heads, but maybe the coating?).

Ultrasonic can hurt parts at the right resonant frequency. Here's a visual of what could happen:

How Ultrasonic Cleaners can Damage Parts | Zenith Ultrasonics
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel

Last edited by Tippy; 08-07-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
any reason why a brass cone brush head on a die grinder wouldn't work to remove the carbon? its on the head of the piston and not int he ring lands or on the skirts i'm assuming.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

+1 for Berryman 0905 Chem-dip. I soak pistons overnight and clean melted carbon off with toothbrush. Clean and then put in ultrasonic tank with Dawn dishwashing soap. Final cleaning and they look like new.

john
Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: