Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Elephant Foot Adjuster

Hi Guys

I am in the final stages of my engine rebuild. I have a question regarding the elephant foot adjuster. The engine has been completely rebuilt. The heads have new valves, and valve guides. Valve seats have been cleaned up. Cams have been installed, Intake Rocker number 1 was installed in an attempt to set the timing for the cams. The guy building my motor had some concerns that there wasn't enough threads protruding through the locking nut. I found a picture of rockers prior to rebuild and it looks like there is only 2 threads exposed above the locking nut.

Will this cause any problems? Will it throw the rocker geometry off?

A little background. Engine is a 3.4 Turbo with 964 cams and 964 cam towers.

Engine builder recommended installing valve lash caps, 9mm X 0.06".

Any opinions would be appreciated.

J
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.

Last edited by jpilcher; 06-24-2014 at 05:39 PM..
Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Some codes, specs and requirements require one thread proud of the face of the nut..

I can remember a when a Manual I work with almost daily stated the end of the bolt should be flush or better than the face of the nut...

The specs were re-written to eliminate "what is flush" arguments..

If you are seeing two threads proud..... you are exceeding any code or requirement that I can think of
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Spoke to Henry S.

He said that the likely cause of the lack of threads on the elephant foot adjuster is the ground cam that I am using. He said that it can have an effect on rocker geometry. He said that the best solution would be to replace the cams with a billet cam from John Doherty. The second option would be to find some 9mm valve lash shims from a Alpha Romeo garage. I was able to source these . There is a local Alpha garage that has a full range of the 9 mm shims. I have contacted John Doherty hoping that he has something in stock. I'll let you know how I make out.

Regards

John

Thanks Henry
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.

Last edited by jpilcher; 06-26-2014 at 03:03 AM..
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Swap the rocker with a different one to see if it's the cam lobe or the rocker.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Measured it, it's the cam. It's undersized by 0.06" in comparison to a stock sc cam.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: