Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
It's a 914 ...

I thought I read about cases of unusual bearing degradation from some of the suspect bearings, which might indicate more than just dimensional issues. Though perhaps the degradation might have been precipitated by the dimensional issues?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
The problem with these defects in bearings is the potential that the high spot will transfer the softer metal to the hardened shaft journal surface in a small location which then heats and transfers more material until the bearing is consumed and with it the journal. Heat, knocking, stinky crankcase vapors, scary noises - park.
Followed by drinking too much, telling us about it then digging back into your wallet for more cash. This how bearings fail.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

I am in the process of ordering glyco for my 3.8 build gonna just go with clevite don't wanna risk it..
Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Copbait - made me laugh!
Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

I had been hearing stories that Glyco had problems. Definitely don't use them in a comp motor. Putting up a 3.2 street engine the other day and the rods were getting stuck on the crank as I torqued them. Went back and forth, but nothing freed up. Ordered another set and got enough out of two sets to work. Could not determine anything by measuring the bearings. Did not bolt the rods up to measure that way. I won't mention names, but certain countries have destroyed the quality incentive in manufacturing everywhere. This business is tough enough when we have quality parts to work with. With the crap shoot we have now has made it nerve wracking.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Bob, did you still experience this problem even after having the rods rebuilt and the crank journals checked for out of round?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

On this engine, the rods were not rebuilt. Both ends were well within spec as was the crank. I had I think 4 rods that went up correctly and then got 4 shells out of the next set that also performed correctly. Have built 911 engines for over 40 years and factory parts have never presented an issue. I am having to look at everything with a jaundiced eye now I guess. Take quality for granted until it isn't. That engine is up and running well, just did the 1000 mi service and valve adjust. Bob
Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Putting together a 3.0 track motor. Pressed in the lay shaft bearings. (Mexico). They seem to go in tighter that what I am used to. Lay shaft did not spin freely. Pulled the bearings out and examined them. Reinstalled them, making sure they were fully seated, and still a stiff lay shaft. Tried a set of old bearings, and the shaft spun freely. Ordered another set of bearings from a diff supplier, no mention of country of manufacturer, but they work. When you are sort of the only game in town, you don't give a **** I suppose. And with the face that Washington and wall street have put on this country, assumed to have character and ethics has lost its value.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

I'm needing a standard set of rod & main bearings for a '72 2.4. I see that Pelican has an AA rod bearing (std.) set for $396.

1.) What are my other options for rod bearings? Main bearings?

2.) Are the same issues present with Glyco main bearings?

thanks
Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

When assembling my 3.0 911SC motor, I used 996 GT3 rod bearings. They run about $28 per half-shell on PP. You can find them for about $22 from the dealer sites. You need 12 of these bearings half-shells.

I chose these because they were much less expensive than the 930 parts for my motor. They are also individually measured, which you can tell from the markings on the bearings.

I originally ordered the Glyco bearings, but they were made in South Africa, instead of Germany like the Porsche bearings are. They were also poorly packaged. After doing some research I learned that they Glyco branded bearings are in fact not from the same factory as the Porsche branded bearings, and are known for being inconsistent. For the amount of money spent on the motor, another couple hundred bucks for good bearings is just fine.

996-103-121-94 <--- 996 GT3 Rod Bearings

930-103-148-82 <--- 930/911SC Rod Bearing

Old 08-30-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

@Germaneighter - To be safe, consider buying Porsche branded bearings. They run about $45 per half-shell on PP. You can find them for about $35 from the dealer sites. You need 12 of these bearings half-shells.

As I mentioned in my post above, the Glyco branded bearings are made in a different factory, they come poorly packaged, and are often out of spec. This is well documented on the forums.... bearings are not something to skimp on. Same goes for main bearings.

914-103-141-02 <--- 911 (1965-1973) Rod Bearing

Based on what I have read, you will not be able to use newer bearings on your 2.4 liter motor ---> Crankshaft - Rod Journal diameter and width: 2.4/2.7 vs SC.

Last edited by jbahrami; 08-30-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Those measurements are so revealing. I wonder if the guys in Europe have any other choices (of bearings) available to them? John
Thought Id update this.My Porsche parts supplier,is likely one of if not largest in Europe.They supply OEM & after market parts.
I need rod bearings, and visited them in the week.The Glyco bearings are very cheap.Under $100. They searched the whole batch.Every pack was labelled "Made in South Africa" Due to this thread i didnt buy them.I will try and get to Porsche dealer after Christmas and check where they are made.
My dealer did not have any issues with returned or out of spec bearings.However, I doubt most dont check
Old 12-22-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

I went to gt3 rod bearings instead of the south africa Glyco.
Don’t wanna risk it
Old 12-22-2019, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Here is what a set of Glyco rod bearings for a 2.7 look like after a few thousand miles. I am chasing a slight knock noise in the motor which is mostly evident when cold and warming up. At full temp, the knock is not always audible.

I'm not sure if this is what rod bearings are supposed to look like when fairly newly rebuilt?

Old 12-22-2019, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbahrami View Post
When assembling my 3.0 911SC motor, I used 996 GT3 rod bearings. They run about $28 per half-shell on PP. You can find them for about $22 from the dealer sites. You need 12 of these bearings half-shells.

I chose these because they were much less expensive than the 930 parts for my motor. They are also individually measured, which you can tell from the markings on the bearings.

I originally ordered the Glyco bearings, but they were made in South Africa, instead of Germany like the Porsche bearings are. They were also poorly packaged. After doing some research I learned that they Glyco branded bearings are in fact not from the same factory as the Porsche branded bearings, and are known for being inconsistent. For the amount of money spent on the motor, another couple hundred bucks for good bearings is just fine.

996-103-121-94 <--- 996 GT3 Rod Bearings

930-103-148-82 <--- 930/911SC Rod Bearing

I just ordered 996 103 121 94 from Porsche.They are £15.59 each plus VAT =£18.59 X 12 =£223.Priced for European owners.Glyco are about £60.Im happy to pay difference.

Last edited by coomo; 12-23-2019 at 05:42 AM..
Old 12-23-2019, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

They’re about £17 here .
No vat , but about 10% ca sales tax added

Old 12-26-2019, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: