Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Splash tube replacement

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1980 911SC Euro Engine. I have very limited history on this car. I can tell that engine has had major work done previously based on several things I have seen as I disassemble this engine. My question is how the splash/spray tube is replaced. As I said from things I have seen it appears the #2 head was replaced at some point. I found there was a bend in the tube over the #2 position of the tube. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Drill, tap, pull the aluminium plug in the end. You'll have to cut that tube to get it out. There's some posts here on replacing the plug with a threaded pipe plug when you refit a new tube.

andy
Old 06-12-2016, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I agree that one is going to be a real bear to get out. So it should be cut right where it's bent to make removal as easy as possible. Or, try to bend it back as straight as possible.

A good way to drive the tube out, after you've removed the end plugs like Andy suggested, is to pick a properly sized drill bit that is larger than the tapered tube end, but of course slightly smaller than the bore in the cam housing.

Also be sure to get the orientation of the new tube correct. You can install it backwards (and the untrained eye thinks it's correct) and that will starve the cam journals of oil. It is starved because the large holes in the tube will not align with the oiling holes in the cam housing that serve to deliver oil to the cam bores/journals

I agree the plug hole in the cam housing can be tapped for a threaded plug. Coincidentally the hole is a good size for 1/8 NPT threads. The 1/8 NPT tap fits the hole very nicely and requires no drilling to resize. If you go this route, be sure to use steel NPT plugs. Aluminum NPT plugs can get stuck in the hole when the hex tooling strips.

It takes a bit of work to tap the holes for the NPT plugs and in all honesty it's simpler to just install new aluminum plugs- part number 901.105.379.00

I have a replacement oil tube if you're looking for one. I've run across a number of compromised cam housings and instead of just scrapping them entirely, I remove any salvageable pieces like studs and the oil tube

Here's some tips from previous threads on this subject

Cam and rocker oil tubes

Soda blasting engine case
Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: