Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hastings rings?

I have a new set of Goetze rings for my 3.3 Turbo build. The top and 2nd ring gaps are .014-.017". I'm not happy with that. Hastings make a ring pack for this, 97mm x1.5x1.5x3.5 . The top ring is plasma moly coated, hi tensile, the 2nd is cast, no coating. Another option is to use the Goetze top ring and use a Total Seal gapless for the 2nd groove. It is a cast ring.
This is a street engine.
Recommendations?
Old 06-13-2016, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Sub'd I want to know too, they are just down the road from me, used to go over there and have them fit rings for my old outboards:
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No Hastings rings for me, (big problems with Nikasil).........I'd use Goetze & Total Seals. The key is seating and if you have access to an engine dyno, that really helps.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Why would there be problems with Nikasil, the top ring is moly coated high tensile steel, the 2nd is cast? Total Seal rings are cast. I'm going to call them today. Looking at Hastings top and TS gapless for 2nd.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I talked to Hastings. Their factory gap is .014-.022" so no better or maybe worse than the Goetzes I have. So I'm using the Goetze for the top and oil and I ordered Total Seal gapless for the 2nd with no chrome on the rail.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: