Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just Seals and Gaskets........

Hey guys. my mechanic has the engine out of the 89 930 and while its out he suggest doing all the seals and gaskets. He's not really a Porsche guy and neither am I. So my question is does somebody have a complete seal and gasket set all put together to save me the trouble of ordering them all separately . Just want to do seals and gaskets, not head gaskets. Thx
Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Late 930 doesn't have head gaskets but it does have 24 dilivar studs that need replacing and probably a set of exhaust guides at least.
Order the top end gasket set, 24 rocker shaft seals, thermostat gasket, idiot light switch, don't do rings if you're not doing the bottom.
Bruce
Old 08-07-2016, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

... and the bill will be around 3 grand for that, right?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Our Host sells them and You are opening a can of worms, since the engine it out people here will spend your money and rightly so..The engine is dropped. Why not do this and that. As you should. Preventive maintenance is key right now.

Different kits provided by the host
1. Engine gasket set - good starting point.
2. Complete set - everything you will need $$ and lots of labor.
3. Chain covers - is it leaking here never hurts replace
4. Valve covers - 10K miles it should be done as well as adjust the valves..might be different based on a 89 versus my 79 for mileage
5. Muffle or cylinder gaskets...I might be missing something..

After going through a complete engine build myself..It depends how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to going.

Questions...

1. why are you there and what are you already doing and why
2. how much do you want to spend
3. I am sure you are with a reputable mechanic..but this is porsche engine. Have they worked on these cars before. Did they show you where you may have leaks or looks like it might be needed etc..If they show you at least you can tell the host what is needed.
4. You do not want to just throw money at it. (If it is not broken dont fix it)See #5
5. What has been done prior - This will give you an idea on time, miles etc and what should be done
6. as mentioned by other Porsche guru's prior and future comments, other little things may need attention pending on #5 and #2 should be considered.

FYI - The mechanic should be more specific then you need seals and gaskets etc...This would worry me if they are not more specific.

Otherwise there is no perfect answer to this. I wish you the best mate..Half the battle is already done. The engine is out. Now it is up to you in what you want to do and what the mechanic says needs to be done. The mechanic is our eyes. Keep us informed. Hopefully we can assist you in this puzzle.

Cheers

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:

Last edited by vascott01; 08-08-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 08-08-2016, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
OMG!

Welcome to the slippery slope. It has begun.

Pay close attention to what Bruce and Scott have said above, there is more to this than just gaskets and seals.

Good luck.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)

Last edited by TibetanT; 08-08-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-08-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My opinion: If you're not doing the work yourself, you want a mechanic who is a "Porsche guy". It may appear more expensive up front, but in the long run will most likely be less expensive. You don't want to be paying for the learning of others. (Paying for the learning of yourself is fine.)
Old 08-08-2016, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
Hey guys. my mechanic has the engine out of the 89 930 and while its out he suggest doing all the seals and gaskets. He's not really a Porsche guy and neither am I. So my question is does somebody have a complete seal and gasket set all put together to save me the trouble of ordering them all separately . Just want to do seals and gaskets, not head gaskets. Thx
If you have the engine out it makes sense to go over a few things.

-Cleaning engine and engine bay, if needed, usually do.

-Breather cover gasket, maybe a new breather hose if its hard and oily
-Thermostat o-ring
-Idiot light pressure sender (the entire sender, not just the seal washer)
-valve gaskets + checking valve clearance
-if any traces of oil between engine and transmission, change the flywheel seal.

-Intake gaskets
-vacuum hoses
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: