Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rocker shaft sealing

A little 1184, just in case. Yeah, I know, unprofessional, hack job, not necessary, etc, etc LOL.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you use the little seal rings?
Old 08-20-2016, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, this is like using suspenders with a belt.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When I got my car it had clear silicone in there from someone in the past.
If the rocker shaft bores are scored or scratched then rubber rocker shaft seals may not work and what you did will probably help.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
If not scored or scratched, 20ft lbs did the trick for me:

You Must CHECK the Rocker Shaft Bolts when you DIY Valve Adjust!

Next owner/wrench if any, will curse you

I would check after 1000 miles to insure it held.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I figure it can't hurt. I torqued to 16-17. To get the 1184 to stick I spent probably 2 hrs with brakekleen and q-tips to remove all traces of any oil. Then used a q-tip to apply the 1184. It takes two coats to get the thickness shown here. To get it on the inside bores I bent a q-tip at a 90 and used a dental mirror to make sure I got it all around the circumference. I made sure I didn't get any in the hex's. If a rocker has to be removed with the engine in the car I think a right angle tool could be made to drive the shaft out.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Well good that you did it for yourself, because frankly, 16-17 lbs is not enough. When my #2 rocker slid off. I re-torqued the new rocker and new RSR seals to 18ft lbs, FAIL, it still leaked.

After Cam swap, I did the CE recommended 20 ft lbs, VOILA, no more leaks, I checked 3 times via valve cover removal and check under the car after every drive ( mine is a daily btw ), absolutely bone dry.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is the first time these rockers have been out of this engine so hopefully the shaft bores aren't stretched and 16 does it. My understanding is over-torquing too much stretches the bore and that contributes to leaks and shaft walking. I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Let's hope for the best but with that sealant, it should hold and stay dry, in theory. I was going to do the same but was yelled at , peer pressure sucks
PCA/POC
Old 08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I hear ya, but if I have a choice of doing it "right" with no 1184 and risking a leak I'll take doing it "wrong" and having no leaks any day. Silicone is not a good choice for this, it doesn't stick to bare metal like the 1184 does. In fact, the only good use for silicone that I can think of is in these..

Old 08-21-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I thought that looked like threebond you put in there from the shade of grey and the way it flowed out smooth before drying.

I use Hondabond 4 which is rebranded Threebond for a lot of things including the cam towers and it doesn't leak. I buy it at the local Honda Motorcycle dealer for around $7 a tube. Yamabond from Yamaha motorcycle dealers is the same stuff too.

I hate messy rocker shaft oil leaks and your way of sealing them with threebond won't be liked by everybody but it probably works. Just don't fill the allen head holes and it doesn't look like you did.
If that happened you can dig it out with a machinest scribe or similar tool.
Any excess or squeeze out cleans up nicely with wash laquer thinner before it dries.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It's great stuff, I use it on both metal to metal joints and also put a thin coat on any paper gaskets that aren't normally removed. For valve cover gaskets, I use a little Curil T and wipe off any squeeze out with acetone after torquing.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
Wow.... i feel sorry for the poor soul that gets to remove those shafts next time.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Remove bolt, drive out shaft.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Wow.... i feel sorry for the poor soul that gets to remove those shafts next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Remove bolt, drive out shaft.
^^^

Exactly,boosted, anyone down the road that would fret about the presence of a little sealer on the ends doesn't have any business getting into the engine in the first place.

PS - silicone inserts are better in appearance than saline, butt both are a poor substitute for the real thing!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
anyone down the road that would fret about the presence of a little sealer on the ends doesn't have any business getting into the engine in the first place.
Haha, if you say so.

Well at least he's not alone in his philosophy:
silicone sealing rocker shafts

worst engine repair job in the world.

how much blue RTV does it take to seal up your case

Holy RTV Batman!!

Last edited by gtc; 08-23-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Obviously you don't know the difference between 1184 and RTV and you didn't read the part where I said don't get it in the hex's.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: